AOW for vacations/resorts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In the line of "somewhat, but not exactly DIR" questions:

I've been diving with DIR buddies since my first OW dive. As such, I've gotten a lot of great mentoring and dive experiences, but not much in the way of recreational "specialties" or certs - I've done night dives, gone well below 60ft, dove off kayaks, regularly dive dry with doubles, take roles leading, navigating, running MDL, etc. And because I've been doing this with experienced buddies, I've never really seen a lot of personal value in going the AOW route.

A few weeks ago, I was on vacation in Hawaii, and wanted to sign up for a dive. The place I called had a two-tank morning dive going out to some recreational wrecks in 70-85ft (typical Oahu stuff). They asked if I was AOW certified, and said I couldn't go out with them if I didn't have it, regardless of my actual dive experience. No problem, and I don't blame them for that position, I just called another place and ended up doing a couple of shallow reef dives instead; When I'm on vacation, I'm happy just to get wet.

Still, I was wondering if anyone here had a similar experience as they were starting up, and if you think it's worth getting an AOW card, just from the perspective of avoiding hang-ups or hassles on dive trips or resort locations. I've never been on a dive vacation so I don't know what they generally check for, but it'd suck if I showed up and got denied entry on the boat or to a site because I'm not AOW.

Alternatively, if you have any successful, nonconfrontational ways of convincing operators that you're qualified to do their dives, I'd love to hear what they are.

Thanks!

Quite often the requirement is "AOW or equivalent." Unfortunately, "or equivalent" requires some legwork on the part of the dive op (or instructor in the case of dive education).

You may have to bite the bullet and actually buy an AOW card (and yes, I mean "buy" literally), or go for some further training which requires "AOW or equivalent" and use that card when asked for qualifications.

Like Blackwood said I would also say just go buy your AOW card as well. Maybe throw in rescue while you are at it. Dive Ops just say it for liability.

The other option is to find a local that can vouch for you. I've done that for friends before.

That is pretty much the exact reason I got my AOW certification. I didn't want to be turned away for certain boat dives, or vacation dives, just because I didn't have a silly little card that said I'm an "advanced" diver. I decided to bite the bullet and take the class....unfortunately, I got very little out of it, and was disappointed. However, I have heard of instructors who go above and beyond in their AOW classes....maybe you'll be able to find one where you are.

It's unfortunate that many dive shops seem to value an AOW certification more than your dive experience....but I suppose anyone could fake a log book or borrow an experienced divers' computer to forge your experience....who knows!

I had the opposite experience with Diver's Den in Tobermory. I called them to sign up for some wreck dives, and told them I had my AOW. Never mind that, the proprietor told me, I had to write her an email describing how many dives I had done fitting certain criteria: How many wrecks? how many cold? how many moderate? how many deco? how many deeper than 100'? How many deeper than 80' and so forth.

Based on my answers she steered me away from one dive, suggested a few others I would like, and was quite up front that even if she allowed me onto the boats, each captain would have the right of refusal if he didn't like what he saw and heard as well.

Still, I was wondering if anyone here had a similar experience as they were starting up, and if you think it's worth getting an AOW card, just from the perspective of avoiding hang-ups or hassles on dive trips or resort locations.
IMHO, this is the ONLY reason to get an AOW cert.

Still, I was wondering if anyone here had a similar experience as they were starting up, and if you think it's worth getting an AOW card, just from the perspective of avoiding hang-ups or hassles on dive trips or resort locations. I've never been on a dive vacation so I don't know what they generally check for, but it'd suck if I showed up and got denied entry on the boat or to a site because I'm not AOW.

I still have this experience; got asked if I had AOW even after showing a GUE T1 card. Forget how it got resolved (if I showed a PADI card, or just convinced them it would be "ok"), but I did get to dive.

The only place I've ever been asked for my AOW was in Indonesia, where, because I hadn't brought it with me, they restricted me to 80 foot dives (which was fine with me -- the walls were the same at 80 as they were at 100). I've never been asked for it in Hawaii, and nobody wanted it in Cozumel (where they routinely take people to 130 feet).

I have desperately wished I had a dry suit card, though, when I had to rent one in LA, and nobody would rent to me because I didn't have the card . . . Poor Peter had to rent a women's small dry suit!

I have desperately wished I had a dry suit card, though, when I had to rent one in LA, and nobody would rent to me because I didn't have the card . . . Poor Peter had to rent a women's small dry suit!

You've got to be kidding (although, I know you're not). What's next - an underwater naturalists card so that you can look at the fish?

Hunter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom