60" primary hose pulling uncomfortably

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

travelrider

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
OK, so I saw a discussion about this on a 7' hose, but I wanted to ask a very specific question. I have just set up a HOG regulator with a 60" Miflex primary. I did my first test dive tonight with it and was having to bite too hard on the mouthpiece to keep it in my mouth. There was a constant pull to the right and I even lost the regulator once when I relaxed my jaw. The odd thing is that I have plenty of hose to turn my head to the left. It just seems to be pulling anyway.

I'm a small guy and not carrying a light, so I thought 60" was plenty. I'm routing it under my arm and around my neck. Not enough extra hose to tuck anything.

Should I (a) ditch the Miflex in favor of rubber or (b) put an angle adapter in or (c) a new mouthpiece or (d) something else? If you suggest an angle adapter, what angle would you buy considering the routing is coming from behind my head. 70 degree maybe?

Seems to me looking at my own ugly mug here that a 90 degree adapter angled to the rear be the answer. However, if I get in an OOA situation and have to give my primary to another diver with a 90 degree adapter on it, that might make it harder on both of us.

PB080001.jpg
PB080007.jpg

I want to fix this tomorrow or Wednesday if possible!

Thanks!

Last edited:
I was using a 5 ft hose for a long time and then switched to a 7 ft hose just recently.

I find that the 7 ft is more comfortable to use in my opinion. It doesn't pull like the 5 ft hose when I move my head; it routes easier and it just seems more flexible since there is more play in the line. Miflex is floaty and there is a consensus on this board that people don't like them for that reason. Adapters are potential failure points.

+1 for 7 foot hose. Even if you don't have a light to route it through, you tuck the excess hose into your waist harness and will have plenty - also provides you that much more freedom and separation in a donation scenario.

Also - you can read all about miflex and its issues, for me personally - I wouldn't use it.

So, 7' and ditch the miflex is what I got out of the first two responses. Do you guys think that will be enough to eliminate the pulling or do I need to go further? Adapter? new mouthpiece?

+1 for the 7' hose. It routes better and tucking it into the waistband will help support it in the right position.

+1 for ditching the Miflex hose. They don't have as much 'grip', so will tend to slide down from the neck easier. Thus 'pulling' against the mouthpiece.

Also: The mouthpieces in Hog regulators are a little 'floppy', which can make gripping them more tiring. Get a more rigid rubber mouthpiece.

I also run a 5' nose with no issues....but I have a 90 degree swivel on mine....and the mouth piece you have the worst one IVE ever had in my mouth......(Ill admit I bought it for the colors lol) but once I switched to the "mold and bite" style Ill never go back......Honestly I believe the mouth piece it the real issue...

If you put a swivel on your hose like I did mine, you'll find you really don't have to route it over your head. Mind you, I often side mount and like having both of my regs hang in front, so its natural to do it when I back mount as well.

Hmmmm ... this thread seems to be in the wrong forum ...

NetDoc:
6) The answers in this forum are member's best attempts to answer questions within, and according the DIR diving philosophy. If you wish to give a non-DIR answer, please do not post it in this forum. If you do not wish your question to be limited to DIR answer, please ask it in another applicable forum.

Swivels are not a DIR solution. If y'all want to go there, I suggest this isn't the appropriate forum for discussing it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If the 5' hose is really long enough but does not work, why would anyone simply believe the solution is the longer 7' hose?

I suggest you figure out where & why the 5' hose if failing. My experience with a 5' hose was it was too short for me with most 1st stages on single tanks so I went to slightly longer hoses in the 5'4" to 5'6" range. I still have to occasionally manage the hose routing across my chest but that is not a problem. My limited experience with Miflex hoses is that they seem to have a mind of their own. that is, while they may curl a lot easier, getting them to sit flat in a particular hose routing can be a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom