Question on.... pockets.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OtherHalf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've tried to stay pretty true to the DIR philosophy of diving pretty much sense i got my OW card. I'm to the point now of needing room for more gear, particularly a notebook, smb, finger spool, and dive tables. Long term plan is for a drysuit, going back and forth between a 4th element argonaut and a clx50/50.

In the short term I need somewhere to stash my gear on dives in my wetsuit. I don't really want to glue on pockets, so I was considering a mounted pocket. I looked at the Halcyon pocket but it looks like it would really interfere with a can light. Then I looked at the OMS pocket. I also found the OTG equipment pocket on ebay. Looks like its pretty much a Halcyon pocket with OMS mounting. Best of both worlds. Looks like this:

OTG Anti Slip Thigh Pocket for Technical Scuba Divers | eBay

What is the DIR position on pockets? Any issues with a pocket mounted hung from the waistband?

Have you considered wearing pocket shorts over your wetsuit? Pocket shorts seem to be a popular solution among the DIR crowd. I presently don't use a can light, so I have a pocket similar to the Halcyon where the can light would otherwise be.

Sewed on pockets is way better than glued on pockets. The glue always separates it seems.

Imo, pockets attached to the suit is more dir than pocket shorts, which are more dir that a contraption the hangs from the belt and clips to your leg. The less clips and doodads the better, and the less items to forget, the better.

What AJ said . . .

I've used the DiveX pocket shorts when diving a 3mm wetsuit in the tropics and they worked great. Now I dive colder waters and use a drysuit with attached pockets but the shorts are fine until you want to move to a drysuit.

I agree with AJ. Having had pockets on my various wetsuits the last 20 years, I have better luck with glue than stitching as hard to have someone stitch it right and seems like the stiches restrict the stretching causing tears. Glue does come up at seems after a while but when that starts happening it is usually time for a new suit anyway as the suit pretty worn by then.

My trick for getting the pockets on a wetsuit is to put the suit on and outline the pockets with tailors chalk. Then I take it to a cobbler (shoe repair guy) because they have the proper equipment to sew through thick neoprene and heavy cordura and I have him stretch the neoprene so it all lines up.

Its a little involved but it works well.

...I have better luck with glue ....

You do?

That being said, if you glue them properly the glue holds. I have glue on pockets on 2 different wet suits both are over 3 years old (one over 5) and they are solid.

My trick for getting the pockets on a wetsuit is to put the suit on and outline the pockets with tailors chalk. Then I take it to a cobbler (shoe repair guy) because they have the proper equipment to sew through thick neoprene and heavy cordura and I have him stretch the neoprene so it all lines up.

Its a little involved but it works well.
not necessarily.
my guy had to do it by hand. his machine wouldn't work with the neoprene

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom