Such thing as SAFE asthma dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

movieflick

Reaction score
I know it is an indivual thing for asthmatics to dive and certain conditions should be met AND I understand you can not tell me forsure over a forum board BUT--

Is there a certain depth or other condition that is considered "Safer" compared to other dives for asthmatics. I read people saying they have asthma and do "warm easy dives". What does this mean exactly? is it 20 ft in 80 degree water or is it the 3 foot end of the YMCA pool?

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. I promise not to sue you based on your answer given :wink:

I believe it has more to do with your asthmatic triggers. There are 'relative' risks and serious risks.

Asthmatics that have it completely under control with meds can do most any recreational dives (as I understand it). You would simply exercise normal caution, such as avoiding extremely cold water, known high current dives (not talking about easy drifts), or pushing your NDLs.

Find out what triggers your asthma attacks (if you haven´t already).

For a friend it was exertion. He doesen´t do dives where he´s likely to have to "work". If he finds himself working harder than he "wants" to during a dive, he calls it immediately.

Thansk for the info everybody. I still am curious what "warm easy dives" are? I do read it a lot and am just curious what that is all about.

The pacific northwesters (and atlantic northeasters) refer to a 'warm easy dive' as a recreationally shallow (30-80 fsw), high viz, warm (80-85 F) Caribbean reef dive (my kinda dive).... as opposed to a NoCal or SoCal drysuit dive through the kelp forest.

BKP:
The pacific northwesters (and atlantic northeasters) refer to a 'warm easy dive' as a recreationally shallow (30-80 fsw), high viz, warm (80-85 F) Caribbean reef dive (my kinda dive).... as opposed to a NoCal or SoCal drysuit dive through the kelp forest.
Right on thank you very much... uh just curious why would anyone want oy dive in "NoCal or SoCal drysuit dive through the kelp forest" :wink: :D Just kidding I am just giving you a bad time to those california people :1poke:

movieflick:
Thansk for the info everybody. I still am curious what "warm easy dives" are? I do read it a lot and am just curious what that is all about.

Some astmatics have cold as a trigger system. A tropical dive with adequate exposure protection will not be a signifaicant stressor. Diving wet and deep in a 40F lake would be.

Easy? For the diver with exerttion as a trigger a sheltered cove may be a safe haven. IMO this is the diver who is most at risk since the emergency need for exertion cannot be planned away. Easy would also include not doing hard work underwater which is rarely the case in recreational diving.

For the diver with airborne contaminant allergies as a trigger diving can be a delightful respite from the pollens and spores that come and go with the seasons. My wife falls in this category and her doctor considers diving as therapy!

Pete

I just talked to my doc and he said I was good to go. He said my asthma is so mild and that when I am at sea level there should be no problems. I live in Colorado in the springs so I live at 6500 feet and deal with freezing and in times sub zero weather in the winters and have never had a cold triggered attack so I think cold won't be too huge a deal.

After everything I have read over the past few weeks it would seem just stupid for me to say right on and go dive. So being the responsible person I am and wanting to prove that all asthmatics do not suffer from retardation due to lack of oxygen :shakehead I have made an appointment with a doc that DAN recommended to get his ok as well.

I tried doing some tests on my own jumped on the treadmill for 9 mins with 4 mins being at a jog. My peak flow stayed the same though I had some burning in the lungs which might be that I haven’t done any exercise in 6 or 7 years and sit behind a desk all day. Sorry didn’t mean to turn this into a blog just wanted to update anyone who has checked in on this post.

movieflick:
I have made an appointment with a doc that DAN recommended to get his ok as well.

Good move. A wise co-worker once told me,"one the seed of doubt is planted it will continue to grow". Get that second expert opinion and put it to bed. 60 feet down in a current you don't want to be wondering about this!

The official stance on this has shifted immensely in just a few years ago. Justt over 2 years ago before we started OW class I was looking into it for my wife that there were some positions that were absolutely contraindicative of diving for asthmatics, no questions asked. These positions were mainly from the UK where they take/took a harder line.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom