Amazing image of woman shot thru the mouth by spear gun.+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shouldn't this be posted in the underwater hunting forum?

I'm not a spearo, so I don't know the kit. But it seems odd to accidently shoot someone in the face with a spear gun. Does this happen a lot?

BBC News - Brazilian woman survives harpoon shooting

No reason to have a speargun loaded out of the water, especially in your house, especially while "cleaning it."
..snip..

Not exactly true. Spearguns need regular maintenance and there are times when you have to push the spear into a pneumatic one (to see if the seals are holding pressure along the length of the barrel or to check the loading pressure) or into a banded one (to check for frayed or cracking rubbers). Or for both types to check trigger action.

Obviously to be done with extreme care and preferably while no one else is in the room.

That's pretty weird. I mean, if she had happened to just walk in the room, he didn't see her and the gun went off, what are the odds that her mouth was open (indicated by the lack of broken teeth)?

I see no reason to cock a gun out of the water. Load a shaft, yes. But you can pull on it to see if the mech is holding without cocking bands. You can look at bands to check for dry rotting and stand on one and pull with your arms to test band integrity. I do this every time I tie a new set.

And like bands, take the pneumatic apart and check the seals.

That's pretty weird. I mean, if she had happened to just walk in the room, he didn't see her and the gun went off, what are the odds that her mouth was open (indicated by the lack of broken teeth)?

it looks like one of her teeth (molar or premolar?) along the lower jaw is #

gotta admit, i LOVE stuff like this. it always amazes me the injuries that people sustain with reasonably little damage to critical structures. i remember seeing a kid accidentally shot by a cousin when they were out hunting. bullet went through his arm, missed everything, punched a neat hole in his jaw, broke two teeth, hit his hard palette....and then he swallowed the bullet! showed up beautifully on his xray.

Back
Top Bottom