DIY Housing goes to 146 metres before failing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pdh

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been building diy housings for a while now and have just seen the threads on this board so I thought I'd let you know that recently I had one tested to see how far it would go before failing - it got to 146 metres. Which I thought was pretty good. Full details, pictures and plans, including how to make controls work though the wall of the housing are here.

http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/personal/pdh/housing/

I'm working on a design to go below 200 metres now.

Paul.

Very nice. Do you do all the work yourself?

How did you test it to that depth? And what exactly failed? I am curious to find out what the weakest component is!

Atanas

Diver Dennis:
Very nice. Do you do all the work yourself?

Yes, I have a workshop with a lathe and milling machine, plus other useful stuff like band saws and sanders. I sell a few of the Mark IIIs now, they are quite popular - there is a link on my page (not sure if I'm allowed to say that).

Paul.

Diver Dennis:
I must say your work looks very professional.

Thanks - I started out in engineering before I got into computers (and diving). So I guess that helps.

Paul.

pdh:
Thanks - I started out in engineering before I got into computers (and diving). So I guess that helps.

Paul.

Da, Ya Think? LOL

Mike D

Hi Paul,

Nice to hear from you again and I am that your found the Scubaboard. I used Paul's plans and was very happy with my housing.

Marshall Karp
Dover, OH

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom