Eye glasses inside mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

High Plains Diver

Registered
Reaction score
Today I took the bows off my back up pair of eye glasses and put them in my dive mask.
By pure chance it was a good fit and when I put the mask on, it was like wearing my glasses. Has anyone else done this and if so how did it work while diving?
Thanks for your time.
P.S. I know I could get my a dive mask made with my lens correction, but I have not done this yet.

What if you have to clear your mask U/W?

Oh pretty please, show us pictures of this.

I am sure I could still clear the mask, But,I wonder if I would have water drops all over my lens. Kinda like when they fall in the bath tub. I plan on treating my glasses with some sort of water repellent to make the lens shed water. I think I will give this a try in a pool before before I head out to the lake.

Been thinking of doing something like that, except I can't seem to find my old pair :D. Did you somehow glue the lenses in, or is it the tension of the mask skirt against the glasses frame that hold them in?

As Archman put it: Pictures, please please please? :D

I did see a guy this summer that had them hinged on the outside of his mask. When he needed to see something detailed he would flip them down.

spectrum:
I did see a guy this summer that had them hinged on the outside of his mask. When he needed to see something detailed he would flip them down.
Just tension seems to hold the glasses very well.

I can't believe there's any way lenses on the OUTSIDE of a mask would work. I'm no optometrist, but I think the refraction would be all wrong with water on both sides of the lens.

Dennis

In the dark ages - before I wore contacts and before I could afford a perscription mask I cut the arms off an old pair of glasses and stuck them in a mask. Worked for 30 or so dives when I went to contacts. Two downsides. They fog up, and they get water drops on them, fog up you just flood and clear. Which generates problem number two. Worked well however. Never lost them, the arms sort of jammed into the skirt and they were very secure. Contact or a prescription mask are WAY better solutions.

Thanks for all the information. I plan on trying this out next week and will report back. One thing I will do, is try every anti-fog trick I know of, such as baby shampoo to prevent the eye glass lens from fogging up. Next year, I will get a mask with corrective lens, at least that is what I been telling myself for a while. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom