Eye glasses inside mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did see a guy this summer that had them hinged on the outside of his mask. When he needed to see something detailed he would flip them down.

Can there possibly be someone other than myself odd enough to do that? :D

I have a pic in my profile showing the magnifyer glasses in full-dork position. :rofl3:

Only requires rubber bands to hold them in place.

They add just enough magnification to bring my gauges into focus.

Unfortunately, I doubt it would work with prescriptions, though, as the refraction is apparently greatly diminished with the lens surrounded by water instead of air.

Dave C

The eyeglasses I referred to in my previous post on this thread are made by Criss. I have 2 pair that I received while in the military. They are called Mag-1 glasses, and are still issued by the military, but you can buy them commercially. I've been using mine inside my scuba mask for over 2 years without a problem. The strap is very thin at the temple area, allowing the mask to get a good seal. The only drawback I can think of is that you have to have a mask that they will fit inside of with an open nose-bridge area. I use a TUSA Imprex Hyperdry mask. Here's a photo of the glasses.

bb5b_1.JPG

My two cents' worth: I tried this back in the days (20+ years ago) when I didn't feel like spending the money to have the lenses glued onto my mask. As has been observed here, the biggest drawback was that this, in essence, adds twice as many surfaces to fog up and also for water to bead up.

The frame was held in place quite snugly by the mask skirt so positioning was never an issue, but for added stability, I also added a clip that I stuck to the mask faceplate with double-stick tape (I have a single lens mask) The clip was made with 0.030" thick aluminum, maybe 1/2" wide and bent into the shape of a "U". I then hanged the frame bridge in the web of the "U" clip and nudged the sides against the mask skirt.

FYI. Without my glasses I can't read my console gauges and I've been wearing Bi-focals for about 5 years now so I went for it and bought perscription Bi-focal lenses for my Cressi Big Eyes mask. If I had it to do over again I wouldn't spend the extrra for the Bi-focal lenses, having my distance perscription in the lenses works just fine and with the natural magnification that the water provides I can see as well as anyone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom