Corrective lenses in my mask project.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My concern on your DIY solution is fogging. You now have three surfaces to fog rather than just one.
I have considered that. On the factory type inserts, the mask lens is bonded to the optic lenses so it's still just one interior surface. Yup, mine will have three. I've come up with two work arounds. The first one is that stuff called "Spit in a Bottle' I think. It's anti fog that squirts on, wipes around and rinses out. I've never used it though so I don't know if it works. The second is the old standby: A half inch of water in the mask to swish it around on occasion. Of course, I'll try good old fashioned real spit first.

I trimmed the ears off this morning so it fits inside the mask nicely now. I'm thinking of trying one of those clips like you use for flip up sun glass covers to attach it to the mask lens. It's an experiment. If it works, good for me. If not, I'll think of something else. Maybe immerse the optic lenses under clear acrylic? Hmmm. Maybe put the lenses on the outside of the mask? That would eliminate fogging but what would it do to the optics? More experiments.

Interesting idea; sadly, not yet retired -- and I also cannot resist a good DIY project.

Should you ever become interested in full face masks, there are a number of decent plug and play accessories for those who wear glasses . . .
That looks neat! You could almost wear a full set of glasses inside that.

Don't let the nay-sayers dampen your efforts.

I played around with the exact same idea in my single lens mask. I needed more than just magnification due to astigmatism and other vision issues. I couldn't just used "drop in" readers.

I did metal and plastic framed cheap rx glasses, using a suction cup on the bridge to hold the frames to the mask lens Worked a charm!

Fogging was initially an issue but I I developed an anti-fog process that lasts for hours even if I occasionally flood my mask.

Unfortunately that mask was nearly 20 yo and no longer fit properly (never really did) Ended up replacing it with with a low volume, two lens mask that fit well. However I didn't stop to think that my "glasses" solution wouldn't work on that style mask.

Tried to make several things work with the new mask. Went at it several ways, including unframed lenses, but was not able to come up with an acceptable solution. Had many iterations but always ended up with misalignment of the optical center or shifting lenses. Also because of the low volume invariably the lenses/frames would impinge on my brow or nose leading to pain and bruising. On one dive I needed to abort due to a cut to the bridge of my nose bleeding into the mask and another due to extreme pain from pressure on a bruise to my brow created by the Rx lens assembly the previous day.

Eventually someone talked me into trying See the Sea RX and I shipped my mask out to install the exact lenses for my prescription. Was hesitant on the price at first, but the results more than exceeded my expectations. Had a little hiccup with my first pair, a transposition of number signs at the factory, but StSRx more than stepped up to the plate to discover the problem and quickly correct it.

I was so pleased, and impressed, with the results and StSRx that I immediately sent my backup mask to be fitted with them as well.

I designed and sell these in my store as a flexible alternative to inserted optics in your mask, primarily designed for looking for small things to photograph and looking at the screens on cameras where you don't always need them in you line of sight, however people are using them for full time glasses underwater.

DiveVue - Mount glasses to your dive mask.

Bassically attaches cheap reading glasses externally to you mask using a gopro mount on a mask.

It is a bit of a trial and error to get the right magnification if you have specific corrective optics needs though.
GoGlasses-14.jpg
GoGlasses-20.jpg

I designed and sell these in my store as a flexible alternative to inserted optics in your mask, primarily designed for looking for small things to photograph and looking at the screens on cameras where you don't always need them in you line of sight, however people are using them for full time glasses underwater.

DiveVue - Mount glasses to your dive mask.

Bassically attaches cheap reading glasses externally to you mask using a gopro mount on a mask.

It is a bit of a trial and error to get the right magnification if you have specific corrective optics needs though.View attachment 834258View attachment 834259
Oh my Gosh! That looks perfect for an outside mount! I like it! What effect does the water have on the prescription? Does it blur or magnify? I was only partly serious when I mentioned mounting them on the outside but now I know it really is a Thing. This is a good alternative if I can't it to work inside the mask. Thanks

Oh my Gosh! That looks perfect for an outside mount! I like it! What effect does the water have on the prescription? Does it blur or magnify? I was only partly serious when I mentioned mounting them on the outside but now I know it really is a Thing. This is a good alternative if I can't it to work inside the mask. Thanks
Tried this too. Works, somewhat. Keep in mind that because there is water between the lenses and mask the refraction will cause the prescription to no longer be correct.

In the case of just needing readers then trial and error as suggested above can work.

However with full script glasses T&E aren't an option.

My concern on your DIY solution is fogging. You now have three surfaces to fog rather than just one.
Exactly. I did this with a pair of backup glasses and a random mask when I lost my prescription dive mask in the surf. It sort of worked, but fogging was bad even with defog on all three surfaces. Water in the mask messed with vision.

It was good enough to let me dive, but not what I would consider an acceptable full time alternative.

Exactly. I did this with a pair of backup glasses and a random mask when I lost my prescription dive mask in the surf. It sort of worked, but fogging was bad even with defog on all three surfaces. Water in the mask messed with vision.

It was good enough to let me dive, but not what I would consider an acceptable full time alternative.
Bingo.
My fogging concern was not theoretical. I had an eyeglass insert once when I started diving. It was lenses in a frame that had little feet on the front of it so it could rest solidly against the mask lens. It fogged so much I could not use it. Spit, baby shampoo, gels, drops, all the usual culprits; none worked. Dedicated mask lenses of appropriate diopter on each side were the solution for decades. Got a proper prescription from Prescription Dive Masks at one point and it was heaven. Cataract surgery corrected my vision, and all my masks when back to their original plane lenses. Now glaucoma and consequent vertical strabismus (double vision) from a gel stent implant has restarted the game. I tried plastic Fresnel prisms to corect the double vision but the fogged killed that solution. Back to PDM now. most likely.

I'll try them but the fogging problem may cause me to get a prescription face plate for my mask. Why is it that various products work as an anti fog on the mask face plate but not the optic lenses?

Has anybody tried wax? I remember back in the 70's and 80's the Pit Crews would wax the insides of the motorcycle race rider's helmet. The outsides were covered by thin Tear Offs but there was nothing for the inside. Several coats of good wax would allow the breath (fog) condensed on the inside of the shield to just bead up and run off.

Water will slightly magnify so you would pick a magnification of 0.5 less then you'd normally use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom