Question Looking for a mask with loads of space for my high nasal bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChangeAgent

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Recently, I had the opportunity to use the Tusa Imprex 3D Hyperdry (see pic, these have optical lenses glued in, but the pic is to give you an idea about the shape and) from a friend. I was impressed by the fit and comfort, especially considering I have a high nasal bridge. Unlike low-volume masks that often create discomfort or leaks around my high nasal bridge, this mask sits perfectly.

However, I face a challenge when using this mask with a single hose regulator. It's difficult to equalize my ears using the one-handed method (thumb and fingers), also known as the Valsalva manoeuvre, while having the second stage of the regulator in my mouth. Since I need my other hand for tasks such as venting air from the jacket during descent, a one-handed equalization method is essential.

As to my nose, if you look at me from the side you will see that from my forehead to the nose is like a straight line. I do not have what most folk have, a dent in the bridge between nose and forehead. That is why I cannot use a low volume mask and the likes. In the olden days I had one of those round masks, but I had a twin hose in those days and could easily get to the nose from below to clear the ears. A single hose regulator does not allow this, I have tried.

Now, to my question: does anybody know of a similar mask that allows for sufficient space for my high nasal bridge. I suspect it will need to be a single glass mask so there is ample space for my nasal bridge.

Thank you in advance for thinking with me, I look forward to your thoughts.

IMPREX 3D HYPERDRY.JPG

Only way to know if a mask fits your face is going to a shop and try many...

However I warmly discourage you using Valsalva, it caused a number of mid-ear barothraumas or lesions to timpanic membranes.
There is a number of better equalisation methods, such as Toynbee, Lowry, Frenzel and Marcante-Odaglia.
And my favourite one, BTV, which does not require to pinch your nostrils, it is "hands free".

However I warmly discourage you using Valsalva, it caused a number of mid-ear barothraumas or lesions to timpanic membranes.
There is a number of better equalisation methods, such as Toynbee, Lowry, Frenzel and Marcante-Odaglia.
And my favourite one, BTV, which does not require to pinch your nostrils, it is "hands free".
Thanks for that warm discouragement. I did not know that, learning all the time. This leads to an other question. Training any of these methods in the dry, how does one know it worked? See with Valsalva I hear and feel the results immediately (is also what my diving doctor has me do in the test).

And PS yes I know you need to put it on your face to know it fits, however I am too many miles away from any diving shops, and the closest one only has low volume masks.

Thanks for that warm discouragement. I did not know that, learning all the time. This leads to an other question. Training any of these methods in the dry, how does one know it worked? See with Valsalva I hear and feel the results immediately (is also what my diving doctor has me do in the test).

And PS yes I know you need to put it on your face to know it fits, however I am too many miles away from any diving shops, and the closest one only has low volume masks.
Here we have specific course organised by DAN for learning equalisation techniques:

Here we have specific course organised by DAN for learning equalisation techniques:
Here the Dan Equaleasy course:
As you see there are specific tools (like the baloon shown in the photo) and exercises for mastering control of different equalising techniques.
Good instructors teaching in months-long courses (as here in EU with CMAS or BSAC) spend a lot of time with students teaching them 5 or 6 different equalisation methods (everyone has one which works better, it is BTV for me, but not for many others).
Of course this is not feasible in a short OW course completed in a single weekend.
Here they teach just Valsalva, as it is very easy to learn, despite its dangers.

I don’t know where Sco is but do you live near Amazon?

as said indeed.

Did a ±170 miles today from shop to shop to check masks (my closest dive shop with masks is ±40 miles away). No luck nothing fits. But wait there is hope. One of the shop keepers (an old buddy of mine) suggested freediving masks. Unfortunately, I went to him almost at the end of my trip. He had one that fitted. Next, I checked on the internet site of the manufacturer if it is fit for SCUBA and they state that it is not fit for Scuba. But my hope rose…. So, the last shop had a different one that according to the manufacturer is fit for scuba.
So, I have now ordered 3 models on the internet and will see what comes my way and fits. As the say, hope is eternal.

Here the Dan Equaleasy course:
As you see there are specific tools (like the baloon shown in the photo) and exercises for mastering control of different equalising techniques.
Good instructors teaching in months-long courses (as here in EU with CMAS or BSAC) spend a lot of time with students teaching them 5 or 6 different equalisation methods (everyone has one which works better, it is BTV for me, but not for many others).
Of course this is not feasible in a short OW course completed in a single weekend.
Here they teach just Valsalva, as it is very easy to learn, despite its dangers.
Thanks for that, I will read the article (good old DAN) and see if there is a training somewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom