Is Scuba just not meant for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the answer was superfluous, it was unnecessary for the original poster. It gave the replyer a sense of usefullness however, and that is what keeps many of us here (sounds pathetic, doesn't it?). This forum is not just for those who ask but also for those who want to share their knowledge or experiences.

Hence, giving all respect to your point of view, I have to disagree.
My issue is that doing what the poster did here, i.e. restarting an old thread without adding new info or even reading the previous replies, seems very selfish. It wastes the time of every reader and causes confusion among many.

If someone wants to chime in just to be heard, then do it on a current thread. There will be no possibility of confusion and the additional time it costs readers is minimal.

I don't believe that people want to be selfish. I suspect that most people resurrecting threads like this don't even realize what they are doing. That's why I asked the question. As I stated in my original post I think there's a UI issue here. If we can identify it maybe we can fix it.

My issue is that doing what the poster did here, i.e. restarting an old thread without adding new info or even reading the previous replies, seems very selfish.

I did read the previous replies, which is precisely why I apologized for the overlap. However, I shall not be posting on this thread further, because the topic is no longer about diving, and I only want to discuss scuba diving.

Maybe you have sleep apnea, and that anxiety is "programmed" into your subconscious.
Re mask and water around nose, that was a huge struggle for me!!
I failed my first attempt at open water certification because I couldn't clear my mask.
I was a bit traumatized, and the idea of water in my mask stayed with me as a big fear
What got me over that was... Drumroll... A super leaky mask!
I learned to get comfortable with water around my nose AlL THE TIME.
Now I am "whatever" about the mask. I know it's there to help me see, not to keep water away from my face :)

I have nothing against building a searchable resource. A Google search on "guide to Mares regulators" should establish my bona fides here. But if you look at my question, it had two parts.

"Why would you jump in on a thread that's been dormant for 2 months and reply without even reading the previous responses?"

The poster's point had already been fully addressed in the thread. I really don't see the point in dredging up an old thread if you aren't going to take the time to make sure what you are adding will be of potential value to someone. Or maybe asking a closely related question that hasn't been addressed.
At the risk of incurring more displeasure from you for replying to something non-recent--There is still worth in sharing other experiences and ideas. I'm not sure "fully addressed" is correct.

At the risk of incurring more displeasure from you for replying to something non-recent--There is still worth in sharing other experiences and ideas. I'm not sure "fully addressed" is correct.
My question wouldn't apply to your comment. You added something new and obviously read the previous replies.

In my opinion people are here to waste time, I personally do not have a problem with old threads. :)
Agree. When I first joined (2007), this was pretty much my first experience with social media. So I proceeded to resurrect a whole BUNCH of old threads before I even knew that that was called resurrecting them. I soon learned fast not to do THAT. But you know, after so many years there just aren't that many reasons for me to post these days. As with most forums, I've already read about and commented on pretty much every aspect of scuba that really interests me in my own diving. I have also noticed how other "veterans" have reduced their posts as time goes on. Then someone asks a question that was discussed to death 10 years ago. But you post your same 10 year old view because as you say, we're here mostly to waste time. Thanks for giving me something to comment on, but I must stop wasting time now and go watch 2 hours of TV. Oh yeah, discussing resurrecting old threads isn't exactly a new topic...

^^^Waiting for Godot^^^

Yes I say take your time. Theres no pressure. Sometimes for some it takes longer. Ive had close friends cry their eyes out because they couldn't do exactly everything you said you couldn't and panicked. But they went back, different day and just took their time. And now they love it. It will come and be WORTH IT!
:gas: :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom