Question Mask for wide nose/nostrils

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abhiroopb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
There are tons of posts about folks looking for masks for big noses. Unfortunately as far as I can tell these don't apply to me. I have a fairly average sized nasal bridge as well as length. However my nostrils and nasal base are big/wide.

So the problem I've always faced with masks is that my nostrils sit at an uncomfortable spot under the ends of the masks nose pocket. This means water leaks in and I have trouble equalizing.

Any recommendations for wide nostrils/nasal base masks?

How do you equalize with those?
For the simplest designs, you simply press the bottom of the skirt against your nostrils, as you equalize. The later designs have pinch pockets built in (for your fingers to pinch your nostrils as you equalize).

The main downside is the large internal volume.

rx7diver

For the simplest designs, you simply press the bottom of the skirt against your nostrils, as you equalize. The later designs have pinch pockets built in (for your fingers to pinch your nostrils as you equalize).

The main downside is the large internal volume.

rx7diver
Thanks! What's the issue with a large internal volume?

Thanks! What's the issue with a large internal volume?
Requires more air to equalize (since the mask holds more water/air). Also, the (usually opaque) mask skirt is wider (since the face plate is sitting farther away from your eyes), so now you're looking through a "tunnel." Also, this higher relief is exposed to more current, surface waves, etc.

rx7diver

Requires more air to equalize (since the mask holds more water/air). Also, the (usually opaque) mask skirt is wider (since the face plate is sitting farther away from your eyes), so now you're looking through a "tunnel." Also, this higher relief is exposed to more current, surface waves, etc.

rx7diver
Thanks! Appreciate your help.

I'm surprised there aren't masks that have lower volume and wider noses base

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom