My "Budget" video housing project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaFireMedic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
As I have mentioned before in these forums, I am new to underwater videography, and I wanted to make sure that I enjoy it enough before dropping several thousand dollars on a new housing and accessories. So here is my “budget” housing setup to allow me to “get my feet wet” in underwater videography. I already had a Canon HV20 high def camcorder. Total cost, not including the HV20 was less than $150 and I have controls for power on/off, start/stop record, and menu access for manual white balance.

Housing1small.jpg

I picked up a used Hypertech housing on Ebay for $79 and replaced all of the o-rings. I then set about mounting the camcorder to the slide in tray, no problem. I found that the forward control rod lies just behind the camcorder when using my wide angle lens, so that is used for the start/stop recording control, and when I rotate it the other direction it contacts the “Menu” button. I just had to bend it in the right spot. You can see it in this pic if you look carefully, the tip is coated with white marine sealant to prevent scratching of the camera controls:

Housing4small.jpg

Because the camcorder goes into stand by mode shortly after turning it on, I wanted a power on/off switch. Being that the HV20 has a dial type power switch, I couldn’t modify a way to turn the switch while the camcorder was inside the housing, so I had to come up with another way. I rigged the battery to be mounted to the tray separate from the camcorder and wired to a plug that connects into the jack for the A/C adapter. You can see the gray battery in the pics. Then I wired a push button on/off switch (the red one in the pic below) between the battery and the camcorder and mounted it onto a small project box to raise it up for placement under the side control rod. To turn the camcorder on and off, I leave the camcorder itself in the “on” position, so when I turn the side control knob it pushes the switch, sending or cutting power to the camcorder.

Housing2small.jpg

Because the inside of the housing is too small to open the LCD display, I decided pick up a small monitor to enable me to see what I am shooting, as well as to see the menu options on the display. I found this Zate 2.5” TFT monitor on Ebay for about $50. It requires 12 volts, so I had to make a 10 cell battery pack. I just used a 10 cell AA battery holder and NiMH batteries at 1.2v each. I found the right connection to plug into the monitor, which I cut off of an old A/C adapter. I was initially worried about the size of the battery, with regards to both space and negative buoyancy, but it turned out to be just fine. Note: The screen protector sheet for the monitor screen is still on it, which is why it looks concaved in the pics.

Housing3small.jpg

My initial tests in the pool have been very successful, not a drop of water and the controls work great. It is almost right on neutral buoyancy in the pool, so it should be a hair positive in the ocean. Unfortunately, due to my schedule, it will be at least a month before I can get it down to the beach for a test run in the ocean. I will do at least one dive without the camcorder, just to be sure, but I don’t anticipate that it will leak at depth as the increased pressure on the rear plate should increase the seal.

Looks like what I did to my OI Dolphin Pro.
Didn't need their extension so I bought the monitor. Luckily I didn't have to remove the battery as you did. My Sony is via LANC and a small relay. Camera and monitor go on and off together.
Good job though!

Thanks for the comments everyone

Indeed, with such a professional looking housing what have you got in the works for lights?

To be honest, my plan initially is to go without lights. But I have also already started to gather parts to build a pair of overvolted halogen lights. I have built one for mountain biking, but that didn't need to be completely waterproof. But at least I already have a pair of 14.8 volt Li-Ion battery packs to power it. I would certainly prefer to buy some real video lights, but that would go against the "budget" theme of this project (and besides, and I can't afford them right now).

I also have an interesting offer via PM for a light that looks like a good deal, although as I said, I really want to find out if this is a hobby that I am going to stick with before I "sink" too much more money into it.

Wow, Just what i have been thinking about doing.

How is the Canon HV20, i heard its a great camcorder and does really nice High Def. Have you used it yet? If so maybe can show me a sample of how it looks, I am really interested
thanks

I used to have a housing identical to that. I sold it to a local marine salvage yard a couple of years back. Heck, that could be it.

If I remember, it was in the $1k ballpark when I got it in the 80's.

Good looking work, nothing better than DIY.

Super report and really nice adaptation! Gets me motivated to do some tinkering of my own....

Sorry for the brief hijack, but....

I'm curious about whether you think the TFT monitor's contrast and resolution would be adequate for a towed video camera that I made for finding scallop beds (using a 0.0003 lux board camera and ambient light).

Any idea? How's the small TFT's image in direct sunlight?

I've had good images with a 13" TV, but I want to get away from using 110v (inverter) and a plastic trash barrel hood. :D

End of hijack....thanks in advance.

Dave C

Back
Top Bottom