Quick tank rack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icechip

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
One of my winter's projects included building a rack for my six tanks. I used 3/4 plywood and 3/8 threaded rods (bought the 6 footers and cut the size needed). Washers and bolts rounded out the hardware needed. Found that 4 rods on the bottom section and six on the top section provided enough strength/stability although I still put a flange piece of metal on the ends of the bottom section in each corner to help guide/hold the top on it. Added some rubber weather stripping on the curve cut outs. The result is wicked light, yet sturdy. This was for storage in my garage or basement during off season but I even tried out the rack in the back of my truck and the trunk of my car and it worked well for hauling them around. Here are some pictures.
Rack1.jpgRack1a.jpgRack2.jpg

I was planning to try and be a buzz kill on your project. I was wondering why you would design it in a horizontal position and make it hard to get the bottom tanks out without removing the top ones first, then I read about it being for winter storage. :-(

Doubling as a rack to haul in your trunk is an added bonus too. Now when you get more tanks, you can just add on to the existing rack and create another layer.

Not to be a buzz kill, but it is not recomented to store tanks on the side, due to chance of corrotion of the tank wall, if some moisture is in the tank, there have been repored accidents with tanks exploding due to that issue,
if the tank is stored upright his chance is minimized due to tank walls being thicker in the bottom.

agreed on horizontal long term storage. For winter storage it wouldn't be much to stand that rack up and mount it to the wall with the floor side and throw some bungee around the front tanks. You could put a "table" onto the top of it to put the rest of your gear up with it

For winter storage, just stand them up in a safe corner someplace. (Spoken as a guy who needs a manual and an apprentice to change a lightbulb...) :wink:

Not to be a buzz kill, but it is not recomented to store tanks on the side, due to chance of corrotion of the tank wall, if some moisture is in the tank, there have been repored accidents with tanks exploding due to that issue,
if the tank is stored upright his chance is minimized due to tank walls being thicker in the bottom.

Do you really think his aluminium 80 tanks are going to rust out over the winter if there is moisture in them?

Well done. Thanks for sharing it with us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom