Edge Epic v Epic 2012 v EXP v HOG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FloridaPhil

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm a newly qualified diver and I'm in the process of assembling my own gear. I am not totally sure what I want/need - all I know is that I don't want to use rental gear again.

I will be exclusively warm water rec diving in Florida and the Caribbean in general with very occasional fly-aways to Australia or Indian Ocean. For a local/travel BC I picked up an almost new Zeagle Stiletto for $300 so now I'm looking at my other needs.

So, given the lack of LDS in my area (wrong coast - Sarasota, FL) who have anything other than Oceanic or ScubaPro and will let me try before I buy, I am having to go pretty much off of reviews and other diver's experiences, particularly here on SB - which led me to the rave reviews that EDGE and HOG seem to get from their customer base.

Luckily, I have a bricks and mortar Divers-Supply store close to me in Tampa and they have been very helpful in answering my questions. They also happen to be EDGE / HOG dealers - yay!

Maybe its because I'm a noob, but I'm confused and could use some help. My options seem to be:-

1. Epic/Epic Octo for $399.95. I can't find these on the EDGE website so are these end-of-life models?

2. Epic 2012 for $299 (newer model) and I can just add an Escape Octo for $94.99 making a total of $394 - cheaper than option 1 - and more up to date? Am I correct in this?

3. The EXP at $199 plus Escape Octo would come to only $294.

4. I have ruled out HOG at the moment because they seem to be aimed at a different diver than me. That said, DS does have what looks like a great deal on a HOG package which comes in at just $265 with a Sea Elite SX-30 Octo (Diver's Supply own brand - can't really find out much about them) or $375 with a HOG second stage octo.

I don't know if I would be able to distinguish between the Epic line and the EXP line at this stage in my diving career and while I'm sure they will be light years better than the rental gear I used, I don't want to skimp a few bucks if there is a real difference between the models. I could really use some guidance.

Thanks in advance.

Phil

Last edited:
1. Epic/Epic Octo for $399.95. I can't find these on the EDGE website so are these end-of-life models?

That's correct. These are the 'old' Epic regs.

2. Epic 2012 for $299 (newer model) and I can just add an Escape Octo for $94.99 making a total of $394 - cheaper than option 1 - and more up to date? Am I correct in this?

Yup, these are the latest version of the Epic regs.

4. I have ruled out HOG at the moment because they seem to be aimed at a different diver than me. That said, DS does have what looks like a great deal on a HOG package which comes in at just $265 with a Sea Elite SX-30 Octo (Diver's Supply own brand - can't really find out much about them) or $375 with a HOG second stage octo.

There is simply no better reg on the market for the money than HOG regs. My daughter and I dive HOG D1 regs recreationally because we like to rout our 40" primary 2nd stage hoses under our arm instead of over the shoulder. It's more comfortable because it keeps the reg from 'pulling' when you turn your head, keeps the hose tucked against the body instead of bowing out, and makes air sharing easier. HOGs have DIN 1st stages, which means you'll need to use a DIN->Yoke adapter for rental tanks, but that also makes them future-proof if you pick up your own tanks down the road.

I don't know if I would be able to distinguish between the Epic line and the EXP line at this stage in my diving career and while I'm sure they will be light years better than the rental gear I used, I don't want to skimp a few bucks if there is a real difference between the models. I could really use some guidance.

Because the price difference is less than $100, I would say go with the Epic 2012 over the EXP because it comes with a nicer 1st stage (it's the same as the HOG D2), has the swivel on the 2nd stage hose, and the 2nd stage has a brass barrel (the EXP has a plastic barrel) which condenses moisture from your breath and helps reduce dry-mouth. There's no reason to get the older Epics over the Epic 2012s. If you'd like to try a set of HOGs and don't mind coming up to the Orlando area to dive, send me a PM and we'll meet at Blue Spring or Alexander and you can try out my daughter's HOGs (you might have to arm wrestle her for it, though).

I dove with the older Edge, switched to an Epic 2012 and am now waiting for my Hog Zeniths. The Hog/Edge stuff is just awesome gear and the best value out there. Living here in the Treasure Coast, I dive A LOT. The gear holds up well and performs exceptionally.

You Florida west coast and central guys are welcome to visit!

Do not discount HOGs thinking they are marketed at a different diver. I own no edge/hog but my understanding is that HOG only comes by default with a DIN connection (althought could be upgraded to yoke) and Edge comes with a yoke. So if you prefer DIN you can get HOG but from what you are describing you will benefit from a yoke more. I'm sure Chris (cerich) or Jim Lapenta will reply soon with great details.

I wouldn't say that. Sure, they market towards tech divers but tech diving gear is very suitable for recreational diving. The 2 issues are DIN vs Yoke and that they don't come with hoses (because tech divers know what length hoses they need and it sucks throwing brand new hoses away ) unless you buy the package. Dive Right In Scuba had a hybrid package where it was an Edge 1st stage with yoke and Hog 2nd stages with your choice of hose lengths so you could go 5'/7' long hose or more traditional 40" octo style.

I haven't really priced things in awhile so I don't have a suggestion off the top of my head.

I have both. Here are my thoughts.

HOG only has DIN but the new Zenith is supposed to have a yoke option. Yoke is the standard for rec divers and will be more readily available. They make an adaptors but I don't like that option.

As far as performance there is no difference at depths for us rec divers. They both are adjustable and both breath like a dream. The braided house and swivel makes the Edge 12 the most comfortable reg to dive. They are also a little lighter.

Durability-I don't think there will be an issue here but the HOG is a more robust reg. The Epic is a plastic body and the HOG has metal on the body. It is also heavier.

You won't go wrong with either.

And the HOG D-1 singles package is now available in yoke. It is a bit more but not outrageous. I have not gotten any of the new D-3 's in yet. They should be in any time. Along with the Zenith second stages. I personally own 9 D-1 1sts now and none is set up for yoke. I also own an Epic in yoke and my GF dives an EXP. Any of them would be a good reg for the OP.

As for my personal regs I have done some minor swapping of things. I don't care for a swivel on the second. My GF does. So she has the Epic 2nd with the swivel on her EXP and I'm using the EXP second on my Epic without it and with the plastic barrel I don't seem to get dry mouth any more so than with my HOG's which also have metal barrels.

Both of these (Epic and EXP) by the way are the non sealed versions as they, for now, only get used in fresh water. The hose routing is different on the regs and I like to use a swivel on her 1st stage to bring the inflator hose down nice and tight over the shoulder. Can't believe how clean this looks and how it allows us to position the first so that all hoses both seconds, inflator, and dry suit are nice and tight. The Epic has good routing for recreational diving and also has a second HP port. The EXP only has one. So if you plan on diving a comp with a transmitter you may have issues depending on the size of the unit and it may force you to do some funky routing unless you put it on short HP hose.

IF you want to talk in detail about any of them shoot me a PM and we'll set up a time to do a phone consult.

For my students I have 6 sets of Epic Colds with Hog 2nds, with a 30 Octo and depth/pressure. Good units few problems, good routing and easy breathing.

Saw the new Hog reg 1st and 2nd stages Friday. Pretty cool looking, I'll get a couple to try out.

Your poinst 1 thru 3 are correct. I would get a epic with Octo unless money is snug.

Best,

Chris

I'm a newly qualified diver and I'm in the process of assembling my own gear. I am not totally sure what I want/need - all I know is that I don't want to use rental gear again.

I will be exclusively warm water rec diving in Florida and the Caribbean in general with very occasional fly-aways to Australia or Indian Ocean. For a local/travel BC I picked up an almost new Zeagle Stiletto for $300 so now I'm looking at my other needs.

So, given the lack of LDS in my area (wrong coast - Sarasota, FL) who have anything other than Oceanic or ScubaPro and will let me try before I buy, I am having to go pretty much off of reviews and other diver's experiences, particularly here on SB - which led me to the rave reviews that EDGE and HOG seem to get from their customer base.

Luckily, I have a bricks and mortar Divers-Supply store close to me in Tampa and they have been very helpful in answering my questions. They also happen to be EDGE / HOG dealers - yay!

Maybe its because I'm a noob, but I'm confused and could use some help. My options seem to be:-

Thanks in advance.

Phil

Back
Top Bottom