Do you buy a wet suit that is a little large or a little small?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dstrawhorn

Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to buy my first wetsuit and was looking at the size chart and could go with either a Medium or a Medium Large. Would it be better to get one that's a little large or one that's a little small? Does anyone have any opinions on Akona's 3mm full wetsuits?

Try the suit on. The size guides are a starting point, not the final answer. The suit needs to fit snugly. If it fits loosely, water in the loose spaces will tend to be "pumped" as you swim, flushing
cold water through. You also want the suit to have good seals around the neck, wrists and ankles, to minimize the flushing. A tight suit will feel a bit looser/more comfortable in the water than when dry.

What water temperature are you diving in with the 3mm suit?

SkyNscuba

If its a 3mm you're not talking coldwater, and I would go a little larger. You tend to *grow* in to wetsuits :)

If they're too tight, they may impact your breathing, which is not good. As long as they are not baggy, you should be okay.

MD

I have no experience with the Akona stuff.

skynscuba - Diving will be mostly done in the Carribean and waters off the coast of the Carolinas. I guess the coldest would be in the low to mid 60's. I was thinking about getting a farmer john to go over the 3mm for the colder dives. Do you think I would just be better getting a 5-7mm and not the farmer?

dstrawhorn once bubbled...
I guess the coldest would be in the low to mid 60's.
That is a little cold for a 3 .I would get two wetsuits .
joens

To handle temps from 60+ to 80, you should probably be thinking about multiple pieces of neoprene. If you are reasonably warm blooded, one of the thinner ( and cheaper) suits should do for the tropics. A .5mm to 1.5mm. Then add a 3mm shorty if you are doing more than 2 dives and you get cold. When temps drop into the lower 70's or high 60's, a 5mm would be more appropriate. Add that 3mm shorty as temps fall into the mid to low 60's.

If you tend to get cold easily, you may want to go right to a 3mm full suit for warmer waters. And if that is the case, you probably need to think about 7mm for that cooler Atlantic.

Most dive centres seem to try and hire suits that are too large. Trying it on is the best guide. You want a snug fit.

Generally the suit will adapt to your shape a bit so it is better if the suit is slightly tight, especailly if it is a thin suit. It will also feel less tight in the water.

I have beaten on my Akona for two good years now. Its still in great condition.

Its a 3mm full.

3mm is great for the carribean. IMHO not enough for the Atlantic.

I agree with the other recommendations... get two suits if you can.

TwoBit

Back
Top Bottom