Drysuit Training Poll

Did you take a drysuit course and do you feel they are necessary?

• Yes I took the course, yes they are absolutely necessary.

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • Yes I took the course, no it is not absolutely necessary.

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • No I did not take the course, but I think they are necessary.

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • No I did not take the course, I don't feel they are necessary.

Votes: 33 40.2%
  • Yes I took the course, yes they are absolutely necessary.

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • Yes I took the course, no it is not absolutely necessary.

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • No I did not take the course, but I think they are necessary.

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • No I did not take the course, I don't feel they are necessary.

Votes: 33 40.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just curious how many drysuit divers have actually taken a full blown drysuit course? Seems to me it's a pretty mixed bag. Some people think it is absolutely needed and others feel it is unnecessary. So shoot away and feel free to speak your mind.:D :boom:

Back when I first started with a dry suit I took a class. I was renting a suit for a while and to rent you had to take a class. Now I'm an instructor and I think a class is a good idea for many divers. The value as I see it lies in the fact that you get supervised practice of emergency procedures and a couple of supervised dives. Like anything else there are many little things to know and a class should shorten the learning curve. I think a class may be more important for newer divers than for an experienced diver. Can you pick it up without a class? Yes. But then I was diving before I took a class and I can't think much I've gotten in classes that I couldn't have taught myself.

I certainly wouldn't rent a drysuit to someone who didn't have experience in a dry suit. A card is one way to show at least some experience. I had someone who had never dove a dry suit show up for an ice diving class once with a new drysuit.

GP once bubbled...
Just curious how many drysuit divers have actually taken a full blown drysuit course? Seems to me it's a pretty mixed bag. Some people think it is absolutely needed and others feel it is unnecessary. So shoot away and feel free to speak your mind.:D :boom:

You already know the answer to your question, as you have stated that above. Do you think you're going to get a different result, from the same people, by starting yet ***another*** poll? Gawd, can't people make up their own minds about things anymore:confused: :confused:

Thank you for letting me speak my mind. My mind is very annoyed with useless polls, or is having a bad mood; or both. Maybe I should start a poll to find out...

MechDiver once bubbled...
Thank you for letting me speak my mind. My mind is very annoyed with useless polls, or is having a bad mood; or both. Maybe I should start a poll to find out...

So if you are so annoyed with useless polls why did you participate in this thread.Why not pass it up if it annoys you so bad.After all this is a scubaboard isnt it:confused: The purpose is to learn and ask questions and not be flamed because of a poll you dont like. Cheers :D

lal7176 once bubbled...

So if you are so annoyed with useless polls why did you participate in this thread.Why not pass it up if it annoys you so bad.After all this is a scubaboard isnt it:confused: The purpose is to learn and ask questions and not be flamed because of a poll you dont like. Cheers :D
Jeez...no doubt, what a friggin' attitude.:wacko:

but this quote sure makes a lot of sense to me.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Like anything else there are many little things to know and a class should shorten the learning curve.

I want to know all of the little tricks as soon as possible and not have to find them out on my own. Besides, if you buy from your LDS, the class is thrown in. :thumb:

I just took the class. Before I took the class I had been in a dry suit a couple times. Each instance was supervised by an instructor or someone who was certified and comfortable in a suit.

I think the class is a good idea for the same reasons Mike gave, but with the opportunity to learn from an experienced diver it is not imperative. (My opinion)

TwoBit

lal7176 once bubbled...

not be flamed because of a poll you dont like. Cheers :D

I didn't *flame* anyone. I mearly spoke my mind concerning the poll. Is that not what polls are for?

Lets all wait until the poll is over and see if it accomplishes anything.

MD

As in "No, no such thing existed when I started diving in a dry suit."
Rick

MechDiver once bubbled...

I didn't *flame* anyone. I mearly spoke my mind concerning the poll. Is that not what polls are for?

Lets all wait until the poll is over and see if it accomplishes anything.

MD

I guess we should have known that you are the all mighty scuba god. This board is all about learning and sharing information.If you are annoyed by this thread wouldnt it be better not to participate in it rather than bad mouth somebody for starting a poll.Who knows maybe one day some of us might reach your level of diving and qualifications.Till then why dont you drop your bad attitude and quit taking your frustrations out on other members. :rolleyes:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom