YKK BDM vs TiZIP zippers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beekeeper5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I understand that the YKK BDM zippers are metallic while the TiZIP zippers are plastic. I had a chat with a TiZIP sales rep and I explained that I wish my (BDM) zipper is more flexible and does not fray. He responded that the TiZip MasterSeal does not exhibit those behaviours and to make a long story short, I would be happy in a TiZip zipper as an alternative to BDM.

Does anyone have any experience with TiZIP zippers in comparison to the YKK BDM zippers? I do know that the Bare Nexgen drysuit utilizes the TiZip zipper but not their higher end drysuits (Bare Trilam). Is it worth replacing my zipper with YKK BDM where it's a proven technology for many decades and installed in almost all drysuits or go with a newer TiZip whose track record isn't as established as YKK BDM but most drysuit manufacturers are test driving the TiZip technology (as per the TiZip sales person)?

G'day.
I've been using BDM dry for 20 yrs and YKK plastic and metal zippers for wet and clothing manufacture for longer.
That being said I'd be happy to try new things on a dime.
I looked up tizip, pardon I don't know how to do links, but fom the description although the pics are unclear I can imagine the spiral design that has been used for clothing for decades and wouldn't touch it.
Look at the over stressed section and that will probably seal it for you.
Cheers.

Looks good. If I had a lightweight fabric suit I'd probably give one a go, price dependent and I'd have to finger it first.
Pulling those heavy BDM's around is heavy.
I can give a manufacturer friend a call tomorrow?

I understand that the YKK BDM zippers are metallic while the TiZIP zippers are plastic. I had a chat with a TiZIP sales rep and I explained that I wish my (BDM) zipper is more flexible and does not fray. He responded that the TiZip MasterSeal does not exhibit those behaviours and to make a long story short, I would be happy in a TiZip zipper as an alternative to BDM.

Does anyone have any experience with TiZIP zippers in comparison to the YKK BDM zippers? I do know that the Bare Nexgen drysuit utilizes the TiZip zipper but not their higher end drysuits (Bare Trilam). Is it worth replacing my zipper with YKK BDM where it's a proven technology for many decades and installed in almost all drysuits or go with a newer TiZip whose track record isn't as established as YKK BDM but most drysuit manufacturers are test driving the TiZip technology (as per the TiZip sales person)?

Only one case and certainly not enough to demonstrate a trend but my wife bought her semi-dry 7mm fitted with a BDM metal zipper at the same time as I bought my Seac-sub 7mm with a TiZip. We only dive these suits on some of our dives as we do mainly warm water diving. After 100+ dives on each suit over the space of 3 years, her zipper looks as new as the day the suit left the shop. My TiZip actually cracked open at one end - the surrounding skirt - not the zipper itself and the main zipper track is showing many hairline cracks. I was able to repair the crack in the skirt building up layers of contact adhesive but I get the impression that the zipper will not last much longer.
I wouldn't buy another suit with a TiZip.

On the other hand I've read more than one thread on SB where users of the metal zipper have complained about fraying after less than 25 dives so you pay your money and you take your choice.....

FYI, the metal zipper was rinsed well after every dive and lubricated using a block of beeswax.
The TiZip was always kept perfectly lubricated using the tube of silicone grease that came with the suit.

Edit: PS I just looked at the PDF in the link and my TiZip doesn't look like the pictures. Either they've changed the design or it's another model.

I can give a manufacturer friend a call tomorrow?

Sure, please let us know what you come up with.

On the other hand I've read more than one thread on SB where users of the metal zipper have complained about fraying after less than 25 dives so you pay your money and you take your choice.....

Yes.. apparently, the BDM zippers that Bare uses on their drysuits fray more often than DUI. But the weird thing is that Bare and DUI uses the same type of BDM zipper. I suspect that DUI must put some sort of seal on the top edge of the zipper to prevent or protect it from fraying. My buddy's brand new Whites Bullet drysuit is starting to fray after less than 20 dives. Can you take a picture of the TiZip cracking? I can forward it to the TiZip sales person to see what his comment is.

As it happens I had the suit out getting ready for a trip next weekend so I phographed both ends.
Both the start block and the end block are almost detached from the skirt. The start block is only held in place by the layered contact adhesive I applied. I had to apply adhesive also to the rear side of each block.
For me this was a real deception. The rest of the suit is in pristine condition. I take good care of my gear. The cost of replacing this zipper here in Brazil will be over 60% of a brand-new semi-dry suit.

Attachments

• End-block-ripping-out.jpg
    End-block-ripping-out.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 1,174
  • Start-block-ripping-away.jpg
    Start-block-ripping-away.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 1,163
Yes.. apparently, the BDM zippers that Bare uses on their drysuits fray more often than DUI. But the weird thing is that Bare and DUI uses the same type of BDM zipper.

I have been told the same by several sources.

I suspect that DUI must put some sort of seal on the top edge of the zipper to prevent or protect it from fraying

Can anyone confirm this? How well do replacement zippers last for both DUI and Bare?

I called DUI and they don't put anything special on their zippers. The lady had to ask her co-worker what the zippers DUI drysuit uses. I guess she was new?

LP didn't have the Freedom 2 drysuit in stock so I'm going to get my Bare trilam repaired instead. They will be installing the new TIZIP zipper. I asked them which one they would recommend: TIZIP or BDM metallic zipper. Bare recommends the BDM metallic zipper on the front entry suit because of its history but the plastic zipper is also good. They may actually put the plastic zippers in their 2011 Bare trilams next year.

I'll let you know how it dives in a couple of weeks when I get it back.

Just thought I'd give an update. I went to use my semi-dry with the Tizip as shown in the images above. I did 3 dives with just a small leak, the glue held. But then I made the mistake of asking a stranger to help unzip me. He pulled the runner straight past the start block so I was left with a big hole, and an open zipper. That night I was able to reassemble the zipper, I sewed together the 2 sides where the start block had been and then poured in 10min epoxy adhesive to form a new start block. Once this hardened I was able to continue diving for the rest of the long weekend. But it's clear that this zipper now needs replacing or I get a new suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom