Drysuit slight zipper fray...what to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bigeclipse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
All,
I noticed on my drysuit zipper that there is just a touch/slight amount of fraying near the shoulder part of the zipper. It really is not bad at all and has not traveled down near the zipper itself (yet). It is only at the very ends of the seal part. The zipper does not leak at all. I have read that you should take care of this ASAP to help the life of your zipper and prevent the fraying to go all the way down to the zipper teeth. I always wash my drysuit after use and wax/maintain the zipper. It is a Bare trilam suit. Anyways, I have read you can lightly touch it with the flame of a lighter very quickly to get rid of the fray and then maybe use a dab of aquaseal to prevent further fraying. Is this sound advice? I feel very nervous taking the lighter to the frays. Maybe ill just do the aquaseal part since the fraying really is not that bad yet. Thoughts? thanks.

Just use a lighter.

Sent via

I hope I explained it right that it is on the zipper seal part itself. I will try and attach a picture. Do you still recommend the lighter approach? ZR-0_P8140008.jpg

This is not my zipper but an example of what I was talking about. Ignore the arrow and writing. Mine is not leaking nor is it this bad but this is similar to the location of the fray

I would carefully use manicure or first aid scissors. The guy who does the drysuit repairs in my neck of the woods is not a fan of the "lighter" technique and recommended the scissors approach to me.

I would carefully use manicure or first aid scissors. The guy who does the drysuit repairs in my neck of the woods is not a fan of the "lighter" technique and recommended the scissors approach to me.

I would give this a go and monitor closely before trying lighter.

Last edited:

Once I do this, is there anything else to do to help prevent it from getting worse OR at least to slow it down?

That zipper has years to go before you have a problem. See my old D/S zipper below, it still doesn't leak but it is getting close. The very best thing that you can do is to wax the face of the brass teeth every time you use it. Be careful that you don't abuse that little bit of fabric above the brass teeth while you are waxing.

Maintenance: I use both methods. Very carefully trim the edges and only where they look like they really need it. Then using a good cigar (not cheap cigarette) lighter, quickly run the flame across the trimmed edge. It should only melt the fuzzy ends a little, the main benefit is that the flame will immediately remove the single strands that tend to get caught on everything.

wax, wax, wax...

Old Zipper.jpg

besides waxing the best way to keep your zipper healthy is when you zip it make sure it has a straight run stretch it out flat before you pull it and avoid going over or through hills and valleys. If this is a front zip that is the most difficult when you start on the shoulder area if you are not limber enough you may want a buddy to do the first 6-8 inches around the shoulder

Once I do this, is there anything else to do to help prevent it from getting worse OR at least to slow it down?

Just keep the zipper clean and lubed( I use MacNett's Zipper lube, let it dry then zipper wax). Carefully remove the fraying bits as you find them. Remember, there is no such thing as a self-donning drysuit (in my humble opinion)...if you have someone help you with your zipper it will last much longer than if you wrestle with it your self every time you put the suit on.

I hope I explained it right that it is on the zipper seal part itself. I will try and attach a picture. Do you still recommend the lighter approach?View attachment 212868

This is not my zipper but an example of what I was talking about. Ignore the arrow and writing. Mine is not leaking nor is it this bad but this is similar to the location of the fray
Yup, been using the lighter method for about 7 years without issue.

Sent via

Back
Top Bottom