Drysuit Front Zip Damaged by Weight Belt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheDolphin

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

Been diving my Waterproof D7 ISS Pro Cordura today and the brass zipper is frayed and delaminating from the metal. Had the suit for seven years and has done around 130 dives. Have been trimming and burning away the fray material carefully the past few dives, but it is continuing to break down. At this point the zip fabric has lost so much material that it is no longer to seal and the suit is leaking in that area. A zipper replacement is needed and now obtaining quotes.

What concerns me is that ans a front-zip drysuit, the area of wear is exactly where my weight belt is located. Even with the plastic zipper cover over the brass zipper, I think pressure and abrasion over time is damaging the zip's seal.

Been thinking that even if I get my drysuit zip replaced, the wear will happen again eventually in a 100-150 dives.

Have noticed that on the newer Waterproof D7X Cordura, the front zip is being higher up (and I think it will avoid the pressure and abrasion caused by the weight belt.

New suit: D7X Cordura - Waterproof Diving

Was wondering if anybody know whether the new Waterproof D7X (Cordura or Nylotech) front zip placement is away from the weight belt?

Note: Despite the weight and bulk of the Cordura Waterproof D7 Pro, the suit has performed very well until the zip failure. Logically I would go with the newer D7X Cordura; but have been eyeing the D7X NyloTech. For this kind of suit, there is a newer version available D7 Evo with a soft YKK Aquaseal Plastic zip vs brass metal zip.

Attachments

• IMG_8738.jpeg
    IMG_8738.jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8740.jpeg
    IMG_8740.jpeg
    172.6 KB · Views: 20
If you like the suit, change to a weight-integrated BC or a DUI weight & trim system. Either would provide options for you.

I have no input on you supposition of the weight belt involvement but this is the nature of brass zippers, I’ve pretty much given up on them and prefer plastic zips, look at the TiZip for a replacement.

If you like the suit, change to a weight-integrated BC or a DUI weight & trim system. Either would provide options for you.
Thanks for your input!

I do have ditchable weight pockets for my Halcyon Eclipse single tank set up; bit a weight belt is so much more flexible when I switch to my Razor Sidemount rig.

I have no input on you supposition of the weight belt involvement but this is the nature of brass zippers, I’ve pretty much given up on them and prefer plastic zips, look at the TiZip for a replacement.
Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom