Question When to Repair Drysuit Seam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rootshell73

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey y’all,

I bought a used Waterproof D7X Nylotech drysuit, and overall it is in good condition. It is about 2 years old and has about 60-70 dives on it, so plenty of life left. After trying it out for the first time today, the wrist seals leaked a bit prompting me to turn it inside out to dry. After doing so, I noticed a couple areas where the seam tape has started pulling away from the suit. I don’t believe they leak (although I can’t say for sure since my wrist seals let some water in), but I imagine as time goes on with addition wear and tear they will leak at some point.

Here in central Texas, drysuits are a bit rare. The various LDS in my area all ship them out for repairs. Since Waterproof is a Swedish company, shipping for repair would be cost prohibitive in my opinion. I don’t really feel confident in my ability to repair a dry suit, but regardless this leads me to the self repair route. I have read some of the numerous threads on dry suit repair already, but from what I have seen they are all seams that are actively leaking in need of immediate repair. My question is, is there anything I can do now to preemptively fix or otherwise reinforce these seams before they cause a leak later on? I have included pictures of a couple spots for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_0147.jpeg
    IMG_0147.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0148.jpeg
    IMG_0148.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 61
It's really pretty easy to do these repairs.

Buy drysuit glue, and get a roller. Even an old glass jar will work. Apply a bit of glue to both the tape and suit where it is coming up. Let it set for a few minutes, then roll it down hard. Put some wax paper, a book and a few weights on it to set.

Also get some e6000 glue from Amazon. It's like aquaseal, but cheaper and won't turn to rock after you open the tube. You can use this to plug pinhole leaks, hold down a patch, or even fix you seam.

The difference between the two glues is that you can remove Drysuit Glue and Tape with a heat gun. The e6000 will take more work to remove. Usually some scrapping and a dremel tool sander.

Buy drysuit glue, and get a roller. Even an old glass jar will work. Apply a bit of glue to both the tape and suit where it is coming up. Let it set for a few minutes, then roll it down hard. Put some wax paper, a book and a few weights on it to set.

Also get some e6000 glue from Amazon. It's like aquaseal, but cheaper and won't turn to rock after you open the tube. You can use this to plug pinhole leaks, hold down a patch, or even fix you seam.

The difference between the two glues is that you can remove Drysuit Glue and Tape with a heat gun. The e6000 will take more work to remove. Usually some scrapping and a dremel tool sander.
Awesome, thanks for the tips! I ordered the drysuit glue and I will give this a shot once it arrives.

You can also have repairs made in the US (e.g., DRIS). Quite useful if the manufacturer warranty is no longer in effect.

You can also have repairs made in the US (e.g., DRIS). Quite useful if the manufacturer warranty is no longer in effect.
Well that’s neat, not sure how I missed that. That will be useful for any potential large repairs.in the meantime, for $90 I might send it in for an “annual service” just to clean it up and make sure all is well.

Dave,
Do you know if the dry suit glue is nothing more than the same glue for repairing hypalon (toluene/hexane)? Or is it something altogether different?

Dave,
Do you know if the dry suit glue is nothing more than the same glue for repairing hypalon (toluene/hexane)? Or is it something altogether different?
Nope, don't know.

Also get some e6000 glue from Amazon. It's like aquaseal, but cheaper and won't turn to rock after you open the tube.
E6000 might work for pinhole leaks but I tried to use it to seal a zipper replacement after reading good reports on Scubaboard and it failed miserably.

It didn't adhere well to the trilam and kept leaking and leaking despite several applications. It was a total nightmare. Also tried it on a BC leak and it peeled there too.

Aquaseal is a little more expensive but it's tenacious and lasts.

I didn't see it mentioned but both surfaces have to be cleaned extremely well before trying to apply any sealant. I'll wipe each side down well at least 3 times with something called MEK. Also you can use Pilobond 25 for glue. It remains flexible even in the cold. DAP weldwood is available anywhere but gets a little stiff when it's cold. Neither is marketed as drysuit repair glue, so much less expensive.

If it's a new area (or one you've taken apart completely for whatever reason) you will want to rough it up with sandpaper and layer up either side with glue. Give it a few minutes in between each layer. DRiS has a pretty good rule of thumb for how many layers on their site depending on material (see pic). As mentioned, they also have a fantastic repair department that will answer any questions you have about DIY. If you do go DIY watch some YT videos 1st. It's really like 85% prep work and then 15% glue. DRiS will sell you a small can of glue for fairly inexpensive, but it won't cover a whole suit.

It's not hard, but does take time. Good luck!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240403-053524_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240403-053524_Chrome.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 36
E6000 might work for pinhole leaks but I tried to use it to seal a zipper replacement after reading good reports on Scubaboard and it failed miserably.

It didn't adhere well to the trilam and kept leaking and leaking despite several applications. It was a total nightmare. Also tried it on a BC leak and it peeled there too.

Aquaseal is a little more expensive but it's tenacious and lasts.
Surface prep needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom