Repairing Dry Suit Boot Leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vinsanity

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My membrane dry suit has neoprene boots and I've gotten a leak in one (Pic 1). What is the best way to fix this? Just smear Aquaseal on the outside of the seam?

All the videos of repairs have people fixing leaks from the inside, but in the case of these neoprene boots, that's not straightforward. That leaking seam is just outer rubber glued on top of outer rubber. Water is then finding it's way to an externally inaccessible neoprene seams inside and making it through the boot. The inside of the boot is covered in a soft fabricy stuff. So I'm not sure how to do a repair inside even if I found where it's coming in. (Pic 2 off Internet because I forgot to take a pic while the suit was inside out)

Screenshot 2023-11-09 081956.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-09 092352.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-09 092352.png
    466.5 KB · Views: 35
Aquaseal is your best bet.

If you want to make it look a little more "factory" mix some black spray paint in with the Aquaseal. Use some masking tape or duct tape as a guide and spread the Aquaseal along the seam. Remove the tape before the Aquaseal cures.

If you do it carefully it will look more like a taped seam rather than something nasty that landed on your foot.

I would glue a small piece of rubber to the outside, using a 2 part adhesive like SC4000. Cut the patch in an oval shape, about 3" long, so the edges aren't abraded by fin contact.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom