Question DUI drysuit - Zipper replace with glue-in instead of stitching

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquaseal is magnificent stuff, if you know what you are glueing for instance urethane
Other than that most misuse it glueing neoprene where it does not have the flexibility

Aquaseal lasts very well with compatible materials

DRIS glue is so potent man that if you use it indoors your head will hit the ceiling man then the floor
Good point on the Aquaseal and too soft a material to use it on. They use it on my compressed neoprene CF200 suit done by the manufacturer? Does it mean I can do the same. A 20 year old suit, not much to lose anyway. On a regular neoprene drysuit, using the regular AquaSeal, oh man did I find that it would rip the regular neoprene right at the edge of where I used the AquaSeal after a short while. The difference of any flexibility between regular AquaSeal and this AquaSeal FD, there might be some, just hard to tell. You see I only used AquaSeal FD on compressed neoprene which is not very flexible like regular neoprene. DRIS I just checked online about and did notice a 4oz can at $20 US dollars. Still expensive, but maybe if I have future stuff to fix may consider it. Oh did see on the other thread Glue for ykk aquaseal zipp about Bostik 2420. I have bought other Hypalon Cement for Hypalon Inflatable Boat. Clifton Hypalon Adhesive FA 4844 is on the NRS website and I know they sell stuff for drysuits as they are an outfitter for kayaking. I may see about test on old dry suit I did not yet throw out. This just to see how it may work. The zip seals I saved but the rest of the suit would require some kind of adhesive and or stitching to repurpose.

SC4000 is available in Canada

Attachments

• sc4000.jpg
    sc4000.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 73
Aquaseal is magnificent stuff, if you know what you are glueing for instance urethane
Other than that most misuse it glueing neoprene where it does not have the flexibility

DRIS glue is so potent man that if you use it indoors your head will hit the ceiling man then the floor
I use Goop, with an accelerator for sealing seams(on my CF200), but that's about all I use it for.

I used AquaSeal FD with the accelerator, though expensive, it seemed to be very good. Durable it seems and sticks really well. I sandpapered and used some of the accelerator to wipe clean before applying. I was only trying to get a 20 year old CF200, where it had a couple of leaks in the suit to neoprene to be fixed. Problem is that shortly there after other leaks were found and I knew it was futile to keep trying. A custom CF200 I have now for over a year that was it's replacement. If the AquaSeal FD would be sold in larger quantities at a discount, may good for larger work. I can hope I don't need much for the suit as it is new.
What accelerator was that? Toluene?

Cons: glass top and iron cookware don’t mesh.

How's work on the fusion?

This stuff I got does say Toluene and also on the glass bottle of Accelerator. I roughed the surface of the inside of my old CF200 and cleaned with accelerator and used some mixed in the AquaSeal FD cement as per instructions. This for pin hole leaks. No patch. Not for zipper. It is not that flexible, but the name implies some flexibility. CF200 material is not that flexible itself.

I noticed the regular black neoprene cement in 4 oz can I got also says has Toluene in it. It is something to do outside. When some what cured I bring inside, but in a room I stay out of. When warm in day time air out the room.

Attachments

• IMG_20230310_211303.jpg
    IMG_20230310_211303.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20230310_211212.jpg
    IMG_20230310_211212.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 59
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom