P-valve gaskets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

np251

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi

Ive been looking at the p-valve install threads and have seen mention several times of using a couple of gaskets to seal the valve without using any adhesives. Im about to add my unbalanced valve to my brand new Bare Trilam HD tech and want to avoid using aquaseal or silicon sealant if i can.

Those of you that have used gaskets on a trilam suit, where do you get them from or what do you make them out of? Old latex neck seal, bike inner tube, something like that? And does the glue-less install actually work in terms of being leak free? Id like the option of occasionally removing the whole assembly so i can thoroughly clean it

Thanks

Diverite makes a P-Valve that sealant is optiinal. They sell replacement parts, so I'm sure you can order 2 gaskets, I think their 5/8" OD.

I just went to the hardware store and bought gasket material. It's orange and rubbery and comes in small sheets. Seems to have worked fine for three installs.

I used car innertube to make a single thin gasket aquasealed to the inside of my DUI. I would have preffered to use an inner and outer gasket made from thicker gasket material, but due to the configuration of the LM valve that would have made it un-openable without modification. I had intended to put on a thin (innertube ) gasket on the outside of the suit later, but the single inside gasket is working beautifully. To clarify; glue on the gasket, NO glue on the (now removeable) P-Valve. If you want forgiving glue, use contact cement.

Thanks guys.

Think ill pick up some gasket material from scuba depo. I'm liking the idea of not getting glue or sealant over my shiny new suit.

Sent from my HTC Aria using Tapatalk

Update- got some nice gasket material from a local hardware store. Cut two gaskets the same size as the outer washer of the p-valve the used an exacto knife and a lot of patience to cut a hole in my brand new Bare HD tech... eek!. Got everything in order, tightened everything down (no adhesive or sealant) and done a quick leak test (blocked the seals and hooked up a tank). Filled the suit up and sprayed the area with soapy water. No leaks. Suit was still inflated 4 hours later, so i guess its good.

Thanks for the info guys, appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom