Plastic zippers on drysuits.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

50Fathom

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know Bare uses a plastic zipper on some, (maybe all), of their drysuits, and I hear tell that in 2013, DUI is going to a plastic zipper.

I'm not sure what to think about this. I mean, I know the alleged advantages; not metal, so it will not corrode in seawater, less likely to stick/jam, etc. Also probably cheaper to make, though whether those savings are passed to the consumer is another question.

Anyhow, I am concerned over the ruggedness/toughness/durability of a plastic zipper over time and with heavy-duty field use. I know the brass zippers have drawbacks, but they are "the standard".

Anyone have experience with plastic drysuit zippers over a period of time that can comment on the durability and function as compared to the brass zippers?

I was planning on a new DUI (or two) in 2013, and I'm hoping they'll still offer the brass zipper. If not, well...:confused:

No personal experience, but the new Santi e.Motion suit uses a plastic zipper. When I questioned the durability at BTS in March, Jason (Oceanedge Outfitters) who's the US importer took the suit and put it on the floor with a bend in the zipper ... and then he stepped on the bend in the zipper, essentially flattening the bend. Then he showed me how the zipper was fine; no broken teeth or different tooth spacing, and no problems zipping/unzipping.

Based on that anecdotal and non-scientific test, I'd guess plastic zippers are probably plenty strong, and in some cases more durable than metal zippers.

Last edited:
From what I hear (mostly from marketing-sources), the plastic is supposed to hold up better to abusive packing/storing than metal. For example, a "creased" brass zipper would likely need replacing whereas the plastic one would be fine. Of course, most of this is from people promoting the plastic zippers....so I took it with a grain of salt. I'm not giving up my brass zipper anytime soon....but if these prove to be good, they'll get some consideration when it comes to replacing my current zipper.

Santi has videos on youtube showing them beating the folded over plastic zippers with a hammer and the zipper still functions properly. No need to have the zipper replaced. I think that the plastic zippers are going to be the next evolution and will then become the standard in drysuit zippers in the future.

With all the different varieties of plastic, I could see the plastic zipper doing just fine. Before/after every day of diving i lube the metal zipper, this step might not be as needed(but should be done). Less corrosion on the plastic then metal.

I have a Bare Nex-Gen with a plastic zipper and a Fusion with a metal zipper. I would go plastic over metal every time, no contest. IMHO the new TiZip is a far Superior product than the brass zippers we have been using.

IMHO the new TiZip is a far Superior product than the brass zippers we have been using.

Why is that? What features does it have that you prefer to brass? Does it have any downsides?

I have a new Santi Emotion suit with the plastic zipper. Now I cannot answer the question of how it will wear over time but there are some things in its favour.

Ease of use - with a front entry suit the zip move overs the shoulder very smoothly - even with a well lubricated metal zip you have to be a wee bit careful moving the zip round the shoulder.

Backing material - on a regular zip my zip failures were always caused by fraying/wear of the backing material - the bit on the edges is what I am referring to. On the t zip the backing material is a lot wider and looks as if it should withstand wear for a lot longer.

On the Emotion and I suspect the Bare too when you close the main zip it's just as flexible as if you were closing a protective zip cover and it unzips just as fast - useful for when you don't have a p valve:)

Only time will tell if it's an improvement over the traditional zip but my feelings right now are that at worst it will be the same as the traditional zip and at best longer lasting.

Downside - from my own research I read that it is not very forgiving if you do not fully close the zip. A regular zip may not leak with a partial opening but a plastic zip will but I haven' experienced that ... yet

I have a new Santi Emotion suit with the plastic zipper. Now I cannot answer the question of how it will wear over time but there are some things in its favour.

Ease of use - with a front entry suit the zip move overs the shoulder very smoothly - even with a well lubricated metal zip you have to be a wee bit careful moving the zip round the shoulder.

Backing material - on a regular zip my zip failures were always caused by fraying/wear of the backing material - the bit on the edges is what I am referring to. On the t zip the backing material is a lot wider and looks as if it should withstand wear for a lot longer.

On the Emotion and I suspect the Bare too when you close the main zip it's just as flexible as if you were closing a protective zip cover and it unzips just as fast - useful for when you don't have a p valve:)

Only time will tell if it's an improvement over the traditional zip but my feelings right now are that at worst it will be the same as the traditional zip and at best longer lasting.

Thanks for sharing your assessment. The few times I've seen them, I was taken back by how light they seemed. It doesn't mean they're flimsy, but they just seem that way. It could be purely just my impression from being used to the feel of brass zippers. Do you feel the slider itself will hold up over time? It just seems so ... well ... flimsy.

I am a BARE & SANTI Dealer and have seen no issues so far with the plastic zipper. I just got my new SANTI E.Motion and dove in this past Saturday and the plastic zipper was great, real smooth. I'll report back after a solid year of diving the suit/zipper!

Back
Top Bottom