Plastic zippers on drysuits.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a BARE & SANTI Dealer and have seen no issues so far with the plastic zipper. I just got my new SANTI E.Motion and dove in this past Saturday and the plastic zipper was great, real smooth. I'll report back after a solid year of diving the suit/zipper!

Excellent ... thanks!

We sell and install both (as well as sell suits that have both)....so, I am unbiased in that regards. If I was putting one in my suit, hands down plastic. More durable, flexible, cheaper. You will start to see almost all manufacturers switch if they can. What do I mean by that? Whites Drysuits, due to the bend of their front entry, the plastic will not work properly.

We have been installing these on suits for a few months, and put them thru our own beat test before hand. I have no problem recommending them or endorsing them. YKK is also a great zipper, but just outdated and needing a facelift. Go with what you trust, but I would trust the Ti Zips 100%. Even have a few customers that have been down 200+ feet a few times and 1 sub 300ft dive so far. Possibly more, but not everyone contacts us after doing installs.

Diving Hoosier

I was just as sceptical as everyone else but the smoothness as Wayne says is superb. You are asking me to come off the fence ! Well I was a bloke who had a Halcyon metal wing inflator - seemed a good idea at the time but ... :)

My gut feeling is that it might outlast the metal zip - what I am hoping though is that when it is replaced the cost will be lower.

Interesting. Today anything is possible with the material science going into things. Can anyone from DUI confirm the plastic zipper? I know that next year they will be celebrating their 50th anniversary and I can't believe they are going to change to plastic zippers on such a big upcoming year for them. I would think they would want to test it first so they can make sure their customers will be happy with their new suits and the new drysuit doesn't become a wetsuit.

Interesting. Today anything is possible with the material science going into things. Can anyone from DUI confirm the plastic zipper? I know that next year they will be celebrating their 50th anniversary and I can't believe they are going to change to plastic zippers on such a big upcoming year for them. I would think they would want to test it first so they can make sure their customers will be happy with their new suits and the new drysuit doesn't become a wetsuit.

If they are already on the street I assure you they have been testing them for a good while.

Very timely thread!

I need to replace the zipper in my TLS350. Presumably these new wonder plastic zippers should work fine in that suit? (Front zipper)

We have installed that zipper in 12 350s already, with no issues, and sold many more to DIYers with the same suit :wink: Even had a customer showing their suit off to DUI (demo days) and braggin about the work and quality of the zipper vs. brass.....LOL

We have installed that zipper in 12 350s already, with no issues, and sold many more to DIYers with the same suit :wink: Even had a customer showing their suit off to DUI (demo days) and braggin about the work and quality of the zipper vs. brass.....LOL
Mike are you sewing the zippers back in on the TLS350's?

Yes....Sew and Aquaseal.

We are working on a package, that will include Mcnett Seal cement, Dry Adhesive Tape, aquaseal, and the TI Zip. This will work on all drysuits, but we are waiting on the newest TiZip that will work better with our Dry adhesive tape. We have a kickass sewing machine, so the most solid way to put it in is to sew it and seal it up. Comes out looking stock/great and no issues. You can always do this yourself if you are comfortable....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom