Undergarment Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ericfine50

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Evening everyone,

Getting my old butt back into diving and headed to the Boston Sea Rover's show today (Very small from what I remember it being). Headed to the DUI booth to see their XM450 undergarment, and got to talking with one of the reps and he suggested using a good base layer + XM250 + Vest VS XM450.

So, what are people using these days for dives in the 30 to 45 degree water temps?
DUI? SANTI? 4th Element? DIY?

Quite a few divers are using 4th Element currently, especially in the cold diving wonderland that we call home here in the Great Lakes.

Thanks DRIS2 - are they going with the Halo 3D?

I just switched from a DUI XM450 to a Whites Thermal Fusion and the difference is night and day. The Thermal Fusion fits like a glove and keeps me warm for over an hour in 32 degree water. There is a bit of a learning curve when putting it on but it's easy once you get the technique down!

Heated Santi BZ400 with 4th Element Xerotherms. I've actually found it warm enough without heating although usually turn it on last 15 mins of dive because I can and it makes me feel like I didn't waste over $1500 :D

I get easily cold but have found that a Halo 3D with a merino base layer works for me for temperatures around 4-5 C (around 40s F, I guess) for dives up to 60 mins.

I personally use a Halo 3D with 4E's Drybase Baselayer underneath. It's pretty warm...I've repurposed the Drybase for over my baselayer when skiing as an insulating layer. Keeps me warm in 40 degrees and comfortable int he mid 60s of summer.

I just switched from a DUI XM450 to a Whites Thermal Fusion and the difference is night and day. The Thermal Fusion fits like a glove and keeps me warm for over an hour in 32 degree water. There is a bit of a learning curve when putting it on but it's easy once you get the technique down!

Hey Dhboner, are you diving a fusion suit as well? if not, does your chest valve line up with the mesh of the fusion thermal?
I am not sure if the stretch outer layer of the thermal fusion would hinder airflow if I go with the Santi E-Motion suit. (It's inflator valve is off-center and higher than that ATS mesh section).
Aqualung must have added the ATS mesh feature because it was required, or at least helps air transfer. Do you think that outer stretch layer would be a problem?
TIA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom