US Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wojo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Usually I'm right in line with the old saying "You get what you pay for." In my effort to perform due dilligence before making a purchase I want to get all of your input.

After searching around this board for the past few days I've seen recommendations for Scubapro, Atomic, Aeris, etc... However, I've seen nothing for US Divers, which likely answers my question. :14:

Here goes anyway. Has anybody had any experience with US Divers equipment? I stumbled across this deal.

So...too good to be true?

Wojo:
Usually I'm right in line with the old saying "You get what you pay for." In my effort to perform due dilligence before making a purchase I want to get all of your input.

After searching around this board for the past few days I've seen recommendations for Scubapro, Atomic, Aeris, etc... However, I've seen nothing for US Divers, which likely answers my question. :14:

Here goes anyway. Has anybody had any experience with US Divers equipment? I stumbled across this deal.

So...too good to be true?
us divers/aqualung is a long standing company in the industry..the equipment on that site is most likely from their "sport goods" division..mask is not silicone has some type of a pvc plastic ,same deal with everything else..stuff ok for backyard pool /kid stuff.Not made to last very long or be comfortable..totally different line than their scub line..

Those mask/snorkle/fin packages have been selling at Costco for $49.95 since at least the beginning of the year. Bought one for my better half. Comparable quality to anything else I've seen. Find someone with a Costco card and go for it!

The US Divers branded equipment is top of the line. The name US Divers is still used on some long standing and popular models of masks, fins, snorkels, the Calypso regulator, and various military items. They also, and always have, make recreational products for casual snorekeling use sold outside of dive shops, such as sporting goods stores.

oly5050user:
us divers/aqualung is a long standing company in the industry..the equipment on that site is most likely from their "sport goods" division..mask is not silicone has some type of a pvc plastic ,same deal with everything else..stuff ok for backyard pool /kid stuff.Not made to last very long or be comfortable..totally different line than their scub line..

Thanks for the response. I had considered that these might be of the backyard pool variety, but it doesn't appear that this is the case. Looking at their website the mask and snorkel are in their Pro Tech series. Here's some info from their website on the mask, snorkel, & fins.

Thoughts?

Wojo:
Thanks for the response. I had considered that these might be of the backyard pool variety, but it doesn't appear that this is the case. Looking at their website the mask and snorkel are in their Pro Tech series. Here's some info from their website on the mask, snorkel, & fins.

Thoughts?

You answered your own question. High quality products; just marketed to general retailers in addition to dive shops.

US Divers is good stuff and this certainly looks better than your typical pool stuff. Still it might be more suitable for snorkeling.

If the mask fits it's fine, but unless you can try the mask on you don't know. (You can live with a slightly less perfect mask fit for surface snorkeling than for diving.)

The snorkel might be nice for snorkeling, but it's bulkier than you would probably want for diving - would be a pain dangling on your mask and difficult to stick in a pocket or elsewhere. But you might find yourself soon skipping the snorkel anyway depending where and how you dive.

The fins might be ok if they fit (they only have 2 sizes which isn't much of a choice.) Again something you may care more about when diving than snorkeling. But from the picture they look a bit wimpy to me for diving. You are pushing more stuff through the water than snorkeling and might have the need for more power in some situations.

Based on these responses it looks like the old addage still proves true. I am planning on diving, and not snorkeling. I'll get myself to a local dive shop to check out some gear in person. Thanks for the input. :14:

If you go to the Aqualung site you will see the listing of their diving specific gear. Note that the mask and fins listed are not the same as the ones listed on the dive site. Make sure you go to an LDS and ask for dive gear so you don't get snorkeling stuff.

www.aqualung.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom