Fins and Mask, your take!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reiskash

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to the world of scuba but can't get enough of it. I have been spending alot of time reseaching on the gear I think would be best for years to come in terms fins and mask. I am not looking for anything fast, just a good set of fins that will not wear my legs out and keep me balanced while kicking. I have looked at the Quattros, Velocity's, and Sherwood Kinetics, but everyone seems to say the apollo's.

As for a mask, I recently tried a purge. Clearing the water was soooo easy. It was a cheap Body Glove, so the view wasn't that great. I was looking at the genesis one lense with purge, the sherwood purge, and the ocean masters X4.

If anyone has had any experience with these products, but fill me in. My first open water dives are next month and I would like to start using gear that I can get used to and keep for years to come. Thanks in advance!!

Personally i would go with the quattro fins. I had those Velocity fins and all they did was hurt my feet,and i just prefer paddle fins. With the mask, go with anything you feel comfortable with, purge, no purge, small, big... whatever you feel more comfotable in. If your LDS has a pool you should ask to try these things in the pool before buying them.

Evil :bgmad:

reiskash:
Hello,

I am new to the world of scuba but can't get enough of it. I have been spending alot of time reseaching on the gear I think would be best for years to come in terms fins and mask. I am not looking for anything fast, just a good set of fins that will not wear my legs out and keep me balanced while kicking. I have looked at the Quattros, Velocity's, and Sherwood Kinetics, but everyone seems to say the apollo's.

As for a mask, I recently tried a purge. Clearing the water was soooo easy. It was a cheap Body Glove, so the view wasn't that great. I was looking at the genesis one lense with purge, the sherwood purge, and the ocean masters X4.

If anyone has had any experience with these products, but fill me in. My first open water dives are next month and I would like to start using gear that I can get used to and keep for years to come. Thanks in advance!!
I suggest trying out the SeaVision Ultra mask, black skirt.

As for fins, I like the ScubaPro Twin Speeds, not to be confused with the Twin Jets.

Remember, to properly fit a mask, hold your breath and gently press the mask on your face without the strap, it should stay in place. Do not suck in through your nose.

Fit a mask like Quarrior says. You can get any mask to stay on if you suck through your nose. You just want to obstruct airflow out of your nose and see if the mask suction cups to your face.

I looked for a good mask for a while and founf the Mares X-Vision is perfect for me and has a black skirt which I like. It's fit everyone who has tried it, so it might be worth a look. It also has the widest field of vision of any mask I tried including Cressi Big Eyes. The skirt is nice and soft.

IMHO, Apollo Bio Fins are the best fins made. Floppy, not stiff, like splits should be. They feel pretty effortless in the water, but you get a lot of propulsion out of them. If you can swing it, get the Apollos with the C-straps (spring straps). Last fins you'll ever buy.

Get your mask first. One fits great and works for you. Each face is different but invest here as all your enjoyment is from what you see.

Well, fins. Very personal things that seem to provoke a strong reaction. I dive force fins. I bought them when I did my open water as tried an instructors and liked them alot. Not dived others and had them for 50 dives. Dealt with strong currents in Mexico and on Spiegel Grove in the Keys and never had a problem with them or keeping up with others or cramp. They always cause a discussion if nothing else.

Only reason I bought another pair was that they did not fit my new dry suit boots so bought the next size. If you did go with force fins buy the bungie straps. Work great.
Try various fins out and pick which suit you.

Snorkel, well. I have a dry snorkel I like but this would be the least priority to invest in and cheapest options.

Good luck

My favs are Quatros but I am also leaning towards a pair of Jet Fins for tight spaces once I go wreck. For now i like my quatros because you can do any stroke with ease and deliver power when u want it and easy flutters when you just want to drift. My mask fav is SeaVision with a black skirt(no glare) but like everyone above go for fit. Also I like the low volume of Seavision because I also enjoy freediving, but this helps in the scuba aspect too. So keep searching but the quatros are on sale from who i bought mine for $77.22 at http://www.island-scuba.com/p-FN4AQ.html

either way you go gl and dive safe :D

Choose the basic style mask you like then find one in that style that fits and fits well. As far as fins go, get a good pair. I have a pair of X-pert zooms and apollo bios. I can't say anything about other brands, but I'm sure these will be the last fins I ever buy, if they don't get damaged or lost. Both have spring straps. I don't think you could ever buy fins that are too fast. "its like having too much money or a car too fast" Demo some regular style fins and then try some split fins. You decide what works for you and your budget.

Thanks for all the advice, found it to be very helpful. I ended up going with the Sherwood Kinesis fins because leisure pro had a special that included the Genesis Panview Purge mask, Mojave dry snorkel, boots for like $130. I really like the fins. The mask fits my face, but the purge doesn't work that great. But it made me learn the original way to clear a mask, which was a good learning experience. My fiance may be getting certified if any ladies would like to advice on fins. Again, thanks for the advice.

reiskash:
Thanks for all the advice, found it to be very helpful. I ended up going with the Sherwood Kinesis fins. My fiance may be getting certified if any ladies would like to advice on fins. Again, thanks for the advice.

Congratulations on your fins. I have been using the Kinesis and I love them. I have a shredded muscle issue in my one foot and I was getting cramping with a set of full-foot Shorelines (rental :toilet) I bought the Kinesis and now I fly through the water!! And no cramping anymore either.

As for ladies advice...take it from one woman to another here :wink: I'm female and like I said, I love my Kinesis. Another girl at our shop also uses them and really enjoys them. I almost bought Spintas but decided to pay the extra $50 for the Kinesis.

One word of warning: These fins are very slippery when doing entrys into the pool (especially giant stride). I'd suggest having someone spot you the first time you try it. Take it from me....I belly-flopped the first time :wink: because I wasn't used to the lack of grip.

reiskash:
My fiance may be getting certified if any ladies would like to advice on fins. Again, thanks for the advice.

I'm not a lady, but I suggest you do a search for jetfins or jets on this forum and you'll find out why a huge number of the seasoned divers here prefer them or fins of that type (preferably with spring straps).

Back
Top Bottom