Best Fins for travel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bsclayton

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm a recreational diver and snorkeler, and I currently own a very nice set of Cressi fins, a good snorkel, and a good mask. Although I love my fins, they are just too big to justify the luggage space when I travel - I need a separate backpack just for my and my wife's fins, and it's just too much to carry, so lately I end up having to rent crappy fins from resorts or dive shops (I still take my own mask and snorkel, since they are relatively compact). Does any company make a good set of fins that roll up or just take up less space?

I recommend Force Fins Pro (Force Fin). I am a tall guy with a big foot (size 14). The Force Fins are half the size of a standard fin and my wife and I both love how they pack. I received a recommendation for force fins from a friend and have fallen in love with them. They do not look traditional and feel a bit strange on the first dive or two, however you get used to them really fast. I have found that they perform far more efficiently than many other fins and if you really want to cover some distance you can fly pretty fast with less effort than traditional fins.

Good luck in your selection hope you find what you are looking for.

Steve

concur with NVScubaSteve, The XL FF Pro will fit most people wearing a neoprene bootie from a size 9-10 up to 13+, so long as you bootie doesn't have a ridiculusly thick sole. They are about 18 inches long, 10-12 inches wide, and weigh under 3# per pair. About the easiest thing in the world to put on and off, and you never have to worry about your heel strap breaking cause you don't need it anyway.

If you try Googling with "travel fins" as the search term, you will find a range of fins to choose from, e.g.

TUSA RF10
TUSA Compact Travel-Exercise-Fitness Open Heel Swim Fins - Scuba or Snorkel Fins: at JoeDiverAmerica.com

Zeagle Travel Finz
Amazon.com: Zeagle EZ Travel Finz Light Weight Scuba and Snorkeling Travel Fins - with or without Booties Dive Diving Diver Swim Swimmer Swimming Snorkel Fin Authorized Dealer Full Warranty: Sports & Outdoors

US Divers Trek Travel fins
Amazon.com: US Divers Trek travel snorkeling fin: Short bladed compact adjustable fins: Sports & Outdoors

Mor-fins
Mor-Fins. True Hydrofoil techonolgy swim fins. What do you expect from your fins? Expect more from Mor-Fins.

I have no direct experience of any of these fins, so I can't make a particular recommendation. However, whatever choice you ultimately make, fins must fit your feet properly, not somebody else's, and they also have to suit your swimming style. So, after determining which models fit you well, try out several pairs in the water before setting off on your trip. It would be a shame to find out at your destination that your main criterion - compact lightweight fins to ease air travel - means purchasing fins that you wouldn't consider buying if you did all your diving at home. If you want a pair that you will love as much as the Cressis you already own, you need to take the time to problem-solve your dilemma, eschewing instant solutions.

Never had a problem traveling & packing with mine/hers on a trip ie Dacor Turbo II/ Tusa's(old days) and new days(in last 2 years) we BOTH use Duo Velocity Split fins(mine are yellow hers blue), see pick below
yhst-14842708781123_2048_47028456

Another vote for Force Fins.

I use them for all my diving. Travel is just a bonus.

Force fins may be great, but they start at about $150 and can go to double that. Depending upon the seriousness of the diver, they may not be an appropriate recommendation. I am looking into travel fins as well, but more like a $50-or-less snorkeling fin. I am thinking that length is less important for travel-friendliness than weight. After all, they lie pretty flat and you can stuff the foot pockets with socks and underwear so they don't "waste" all that much space.

I have looked at several options and haven't yet come to a decision, though I am looking closely at the Akona Caicos for the open heel and apparently wide foot pocket.

-bob

check ebay or craiglist, ForceFins basically do not ever wear out. Some of mine are 10+ years old, and although they don't look new, they work just as well as they did new. Ebay and Craigslist often has them for <$50. If you are only looking for snorkelling fins, look for the Originals, the extra stiffness of the Pros is uneccasary for snorkelling.

Another vote for Forcefins. I use the Pros for travel. Really easy to pack and great to use.

Take a look at Oceanic Caribe-X fins, they are nice and light. I've got them for use as my travel fins. Do a search for some magazine review of them, they performed quite well.

Back
Top Bottom