Did you buy spare spring straps for your fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlevine

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I typically try to carry spare parts for my equipment so I was going to buy a spare set of spring straps. When I asked the dealer for a pair he asked why I would want them. He seemed surprised at my question. Just curious as to whether any of you invested in spare spring straps. Am I going overboard?

Thanks!

Yes.
90400_1.jpg

DSCF2972.jpg

Bungee_strap.jpg

1+ for maxbottomtime

A little off subject, but I recently replaced springs with 3/8" bungee at the suggestion of maxbottomtime.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fi...in-question-time-heel-straps.html#post6586465

I was always uncomfortable with spring straps because you can’t tell when they are about to snap, short of sophisticated metallurgical testing. Bungee or shock cord fails slowly as individual rubber strands break and the outside woven fiber cover frays. Bungee also won't fail completely or suddenly unless under tremendous load. The best part is they are cheap, easy to replace, and adjustable.

The bungee happened to be the same size as the spring on my set. The molded rubber pull loop had broken so I replaced them with 1" Nylon webbing. The tension feels just like the springs they replaced. Hope it helps.

The attached image shows modifications to Jet and Hollis F1 fins that re-use the heel pad off spring straps. I drilled the F1 fins out so the bungee can pass through the spring pockets.

Attachments

• Jet and F1 BungeeFinStrap.jpg
    Jet and F1 BungeeFinStrap.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 562
I've never had spring straps fail. I've seen it happen once. The possibility is sufficiently remote that I do not own spares.

I've never had spring straps fail. I've seen it happen once. The possibility is sufficiently remote that I do not own spares.

I've never even seen it. I have seen the rubber tabs that hold the springs rip off, but having a spare spring strap wouldn't help. But I do like the bungee modifications. Very creative.

I don't carry extra spring straps. Don't even own an extra pair and I have extra's of almost everything.

As long as it's all metal connections I wouldn't worry. If you have the spring straps that use plastic buckle to attach to the fin that could be a problem. I've never seen a issue with any all metal spring straps though.

…As long as it's all metal connections I wouldn't worry. If you have the spring straps that use plastic buckle to attach to the fin that could be a problem. I've never seen a issue with any all metal spring straps though.

I have seen dozens of springs fail, especially stainless steel. Putting springs on a pair of fins instead of some other device doesn’t change their physical properties.

As written, the problem with springs is you can’t tell when they are about to fail with the naked eye. They also aren’t adjustable to the length you want… or inexpensive.

I always carry back-ups for just about every thing.....An xtra strap is such a small item to insure you don't have to cancel a dive.....Try diving w/o a strap on one fin....It's a 'no-brainer'.....

I'm glad you posted that! Taking some bungees on my upcoming trip just in case. I have a lot of years on my spring straps. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom