Gps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Da Nizz

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi I am looking for a cheap inexpensive gps. I recently purchased a kayak and would like to know where I am. Info would be greatly appreciated. I am also looking for some yak divin. If anyone is interested let me know thanks.:D

I am also looking for some yak diviv.

What is yak diviv?

I have an old Garmin model GPS 48, it still works great, but basically any inexpensive water resistant Garmin should do. I don't know their current models but the brand is well respected and you will find a handheld to be relatively inexpensive.

Maybe you could find an old Garmin 48 on eBay...it was a terrific product.

I just bought a magellan crossover it does auto, marine and hiking even though the marine map is a little lacking standard. I would reccomend the blue nav upgrade for the marine part.

The Garmin Map 76S is what I use on my yak. I also have Garmin MapSource/Blue Chart Americas on my PC to up and down load points, figure distances and stuff.

i use an older magellan Xplorer 100, it's very waterproof and simple to use, but no chart function.

I recently bought a humminbird 161 combo gps/ff unit, but I'm waiting to get a different transducer through their exchange program before I mount it in my yak. Right now I'm using a very well used and abused garmin 38 that's held together by wire ties. Can't read some of the display, but with all the waypoints I have programmed into it, The goto function works well. Whatever you decide on, make sure you keep it in a drybox with a transparent lid or something like a river otter dry bag. Don't trust mfr. claims of water resistance. On this site I found a thread about people trying to get warranty replacements on gps units that had water damage and were turned down. Granted, they may have dropped them in 20 ft. of water and recovered them, but I'd still use protection.

Can get a basic GPS like a Garmin eTrex that lists for $100 .. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=144&pID=6403
water proof, but put it in a water tight DryBag and you will still be able to push the buttons
Or a marine one like the GPS 72 that floats, lists for $129 ... https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=161&pID=214

Heh, Debby, I still have my Garmin 45 ... only 8 channels, but better than the 6 channels that were then current .. and it still works wonderfully

Looky ... Garmin 48 Garmin GPS 48 - (eBay item 290167411790 end time Oct-10-07 19:51:54 PDT)
Garmin 45 ... garmin hand held gps receiver model 45 - (eBay item 120167439029 end time Oct-07-07 13:39:22 PDT)
Note: the 12 satellite channel 48 is a better deal than the 8 channel 45

I agree about getting some sort of dry case! I purchased a Dry Pak VHF case for my Garmin. It has a nice long cord on it so that I can use a brass clip to attach it to the yak so that I don't lose it.

I also have a handheld VHF that I keep in a drybag in my hatch...if I get into trouble out there and my cell phone doesn't reach, I have a backup.

What is yak diviv?

I have an old Garmin model GPS 48, it still works great, but basically any inexpensive water resistant Garmin should do. I don't know their current models but the brand is well respected and you will find a handheld to be relatively inexpensive.

Maybe you could find an old Garmin 48 on eBay...it was a terrific product.

sorry supposed to be divin. looks like there is a wide variety of gps systems everyone uses. I will keep looking around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom