Diving in Destin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

murdrcycle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
OK - we had a change of vacation plans and Cape San Blas is out. I will be in Destin instead over the weekend of the 4th. Can anyone give me any details about the area, including good dive ops? I am, at this point, a single diver (although my wife may decide to get certified prior to the trip).

i like scuba tech,i like to dive under the destin bridge (lots of fish) just go to the west side of the bridge and park then walk out on the beach and hop in :D ...and you can dive the jetties witch is a beach dive to.but make sure you check the tides ,the current can be very bad at these locations

I dove with Scuba tech 2 times last year. both trips were great. dive shop well stocked.boat was a little crowded as most are during summer.im a single diver also.wife scared of sharks.

The above 2 listed shops are the only boat operators that run regularly.

There are also operators that run out of FWB and PCB, but that's s short drive. If you want to dive the Oriskany while there, P'cola isn't that far away.

The main shore diving sites in the area are the Destin Jetties and the PCB Jetties. Also Navare Pier is popular. Inland there are several springs to dive. the most popular is Morrison and Vortex, both about an hour away from destin. Vortex is a commercial dive site with onsite facilities and Morrison is a county park, but is currently closed most of the dive due to the counties construction/upgrade of the park. so it might be open, but don't bet on it.

I dove the jetty a few years back in destin because it was too rough for boats that day - really not worth the dive. Personally, i would either go to pensacola to dive the might o - did that last year and it's a great dive. or i would go the other direction and got o panama city. A great shore dive is the panama city jetty (it's in the park), fantastic shore dive; saw school of tarpon last year and lots of colorful sponges and fish life - this can be a good alternative if it's a bit rough for the boats. There are quite a few good dive boats running out of pensacola and panama city.

I don't know how feasible shore diving will be since I will be by myself, but I would love to do some for the price lol.

Forgive me for my inexperience, but I notice these dive shops using the word "charter" instead of "tour" as they use in Mexico. Are the experiences the same? If not, what are the differences?

I thought the Mighty O was a tech dive?

I know emerald coast scuba charges $x.xx for 1 or 2 tank boat dive - they take you out to the dive site - you dive - they bring you back. Tour? Charter? prolly the same thing. You can also hire one of their DM's for the dives if you like for $25.00 or there abouts (check their website for acutal prices).

Never been but from what I understand you can do the tower w/o going below 130'. The flight deck might be at 130' so your time as a rec diver would be extremely limited doing this dive but it is possible.

Every place that I have been in Mexico provides a divemaster as a guide. It is a good thing too because there are so many other boats around finding yours may prove difficult lol. Hre in Missouri the quarrys don't provide a DM but hey, it is rather hard to get lost in a quarry.

I have quite a lot of time to plan this - I just wanted to make sure that there was some good diving in the area before we rented a house. It sounds like that won't be a problem.

I dove the jetty a few years back in destin because it was too rough for boats that day - really not worth the dive. A great shore dive is the panama city jetty (it's in the park), fantastic shore dive; saw .

I personally think the Destin Jetties are a great dive.... But its one of those dives that what you make of it. You can dive that spot over and over again and see new stuff every dive if you look. This is a great place to dive.

the PCB jetties in St Andrews Park are another great place. Similar only because it's on jetty rocks, but lots to see if you look. nice park also.

I don't know how feasible shore diving will be since I will be by myself, but I would love to do some for the price lol.

There are usually people from SB that dive that site about every weekend. You can always hook up with one of the divers here and dive it with them.

Every place that I have been in Mexico provides a divemaster as a guide.

None of the dive ops in the panhandle provide a divemaster or a guide by default. If you feel you need one, you can arrange to hire one through the shop for a few extra bucks as mauigal noted.

I thought the Mighty O was a tech dive?

well it's an advanced dive. charter operators want you to be AOW certfied but they will take OW certified, but according to most of their rules they restrict you to the tower, which starts at about 65'. the flight deck is at about 130' or 135' depending on who you ask.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom