Key West Dive shops/sites in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeshamokin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A small group of us is heading down to Key West from 8/25 to 8/29 and are looking for some dive shop recommendations. It seems like there is a lot more info for the other Keys, but not so much for Key West. None of us have been here before. 2 are divemasters and the rest are just OW certified. Any thoughts would be great!

I always preferred Lost Reef Adventures, 305-296-9737, Located on Margeret St, across from Half Shell Raw Bar. The Boat, "Dream", is docked right there as well. Dream is an older, but dependable boat with a platform at water level, making for an easy giant stride. You can expect competative pricing. They are rated for 16 divers, but rarely carry that many.

Captains Corner is is another favorite,305-296-8918, located at the corner of Green and Elizabeth, by the Conch Republic Seafood Company. Their Boat, The Sea Eagle, Is larger and the deck is about 5ft above the surface. Some find the giant stide a little intimadating. They tend to be about the least expensive and are some times crowded.

I like Subtropic as well, (sorry I don't have the number), located on N. Roosevelt and Garison bight. They have a couple boats,and tend to be moderatly priced. They have the longest ride to the reefs, as they are on the Gulf side of the island.

Dive Key West, has the nicest shop with plenty of easy parking and runs a very professional opporation. They do put a DM in the water on the wrecks, I am not sure if they are doing so on the reefs. There shop is on N. Roosevelt near the Sears shoping center. Their boat, "Easy Diver" is docked at Ocean Side Marina on Stock Island, about a 5 minute drive away. "easy Diver" is newer than many of the other boats and they have one of the shortest runs to the reefs. Dive Key West is usually one of the more expensive charters, but they tend to offer a few more ammenaties.

Have fun

Safe Dives
trtldvr

I prefer to go with sub tropic divers..they will give the dm's in your group a professional courtesy discount if they are active .just let them know and have the dm card ready.they do a 2 tank dive on the vandenburg in the am and reef dives in the pm.plenty of parking space. I'll be there 2nd week of August.

I also used subtropic last week and I would go out with them again. They will give you a discount on additional diving (repeat business).

The boat is steps from the shop. The ride to the Vanderberg if I remember correctly was about 55 mins.

Every time Im in Key West I dive with Subtropic dive center. They run trips out to the Vandenberg in the morning and the reefs in the afternoon. They help you by taking your gear on and off the boat. I have often done guided dives with them and the dive guides are extremely helpful and informative. They also offer a lot of ammenities like a shower, and free drinks. I have been going down to Key West for the past six years and wouldn't dive with anyone else.

Used SubTropic last week, very nice Op. I like the Southpoint boat better if I'm going out with a bubble watcher though, more shade and a top deck.

Does anyone have any recommendations of specific sites in the area? I will be down in early July with some beginners. We are staying on Big Pine and will probably hit Looe Key but where else in not to miss but still appropriate for the newly certified?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom