Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Harvesting/Eating the "other conchs"? - Crown Conch, Horse Conch, etc..

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199

Big Grin Harvesting/Eating the "other conchs"? - Crown Conch, Horse Conch, etc..

Hi All,

I'm having the craving for some fresh cracked conch... I know the queen conch is protected, but it seems the other conchs like the crown conch, horse conch, Whelks, fighting conch, etc are not regulated/protected... Yeah I know the first three are technically not conchs since not in the "Strombus" family :-p

Anyway was curious if anyone can chime in on the table quality of these "other conchs" - I have a feeling it will take quite a load to get a decent quantity of meat or some ceviche, salad or fritters, but think I can spare an afternoon ;-) So any tips on collecting & preparing - ie which ones taste better, how to prepare them, do they require time with the tenderizer/mallet, etc :-)

Thanks!,

Bob

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    I've heard horse conch is quite tasty.

I don't think they are regulated, so you would just need a fishing license, but don't take my word for that.
    Me fail English? That's unpossible - Ralph Wiggum

http://cripplediver.blogspot.com/

Single Diver

Trying to avoid red blinking
    lights and up arrows!

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    There was some discussion about harvesting and eating horse conch in the Boynton Dive Chronicles thread. Starting a little before here The Boynton Dive Chronicles (new and improved)
    Let us know how it turns out. 1 horse conch ought to be plenty for a trial.
    www.cfscuba.com
    Central Florida Scuba Meetup Group

Registered

WHERE DID THE HOT CHICK THREAD
    GEAUX?

SE Florida, the flattest part, I can see Mount Pompano on a clear day through the trees!
    Dives
    None - Not Certified
    Photos
    Top quality Queen Conch meat already skinned and tenderized is available at many seafood outlets.
    While you could most certainly pick up some of the other species, it is an amazingly difficult process to clean them, skin them, and whatnot.
    I have tried the whole queen conch thing when I was working in the Turks and Caicos Islands 20 years ago, and it is so very much easier to buy the meat already prepared.
    Chug
    Just my two pieces of copper plated zinc.
    I don't care, as long as the Cowboys, and whoever Michael Vick is playing for lose.
    And if the Cowboys play Michael Vick, I'm a Cowboys fan.
    I am partial to Coasties and P.J's, because they carry band-aids and are like 911 for Seals, Rangers, Recon, and Pilots.
    It's all about fun folks!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    Thanks to everyone for chiming in! Any pointers on how to get horse conch out of the shell? I found one guide, but it requires freezing....is there a way to do it without freezing?

Conch Shells are a thing of beauty and a Florida Keys favorite food

"The easiest way I’ve found to remove the meat from the shell is to freeze the whole shell. Soon as I get him to the dock I place him in a plastic grocery bag and stick it right in the freezer. I leave it in for a couple of day. I want to make sure he’s good and frozen. Next I put him into a five gallon bucket of freshwater. When it begins to thaw a bit I get my DeWALT drill and the smallest drill bit I have and drill a tiny hole in the groove at the third ring down from the point of the shell. Drilling this hole releases the suction that’s holding the mollusk in the shell. "