Sunrise with the Manatees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mselenaous

Island girl
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Key Largo, FL... Dive Capital of the World
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Last week during the recent cold snap, we headed to Crystal River, FL to swim with manatees. It seems the colder it gets, the more manatees come up into the warmer water springs and we were stoked at that the reported numbers of manatees. So Netdoc, MarkSM, and I agreed to meet up at o’dark:30 for a quick breakfast and hit the water before sun-up. This is Mark’s turf and he does know it very well. So we geared up in the cold dark (me cursing my dry suit) and Mark and I slipped into the water. Pete stayed as land support due to a missing fin (Pete has a story). I was nervous and a bit scared of getting in unknown waters in pitch black, even with a small light, but my excitement to see manatees won out. We swam down river about 200 yards and suddenly I swam into a boulder…oops, a very surprised manatee was avoiding my light. I switched off the light as I got closer and daylight breaking. When we got close to the roped off area, there were more manatees than we could count. These huge, slow-moving, and very curious creatures where surrounding us; nudging our fins, sideling up along side us and moving us around. I was trying to keep quiet, still, and move my fins as little as possible, but the manatees were moving us and we were trying to avoid making contact with them. We swam up Three Sisters Creek which is closed off to boats. We had to pull ourselves along the rocks against the flow. We entered a basin often frequented and saw only one manatee. We drifted back down creek and spent the rest of the time around the roped off area. After about an hour, Mark and I got separated in the crowd of snorkelers from the local dive boats, so I head back to our entry point (and my drysuit was leaking). Mark was about 10 minutes behind me. We got out and boy was it colder now that we were wet. As we rushed to dry off and get warm, Mark realized his car keys were missing. We spent the rest of the morning dealing with that, only to find them stuck in an axle spring after the car had been lifted onto a tow truck (major palm plant to forehead). Life is always an adventure, some planned, others are surprises.

P1230078 copy.jpgP1230062 copy.jpgP1230065 copy.jpgP1230066 copy.jpgP1230068 copy.jpgP1230069 copy.jpgP1230070 copy.jpgP1230071 copy.jpgP1230072 copy.jpgP1230073 copy.jpgP1230074 copy.jpgP1230075 copy.jpgP1230077 copy.jpgP1230081 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome pics! I just got back from Crystal River today after a weekend of swimming with the Manatees. I loved the Three Sisters!!

Elena,

Where you snorkeling or diving? I thought I read only snorkeling was allowed on the Crystal River (not sure as I have never been there but want to go soon). Loved the story and pictures.

Thanks for sharing,

~Oldbear~

No diving, the manatees are skittish of lights, camera flashes, bubbles, you name it.

I thought it was interesting that the dive boats tossed folks in without fins, but with a pool noodle to float on.

Elena,

Where you snorkeling or diving? I thought I read only snorkeling was allowed on the Crystal River (not sure as I have never been there but want to go soon). Loved the story and pictures.

Thanks for sharing,

~Oldbear~

No diving, the manatees are skittish of lights, camera flashes, bubbles, you name it.

I thought it was interesting that the dive boats tossed folks in without fins, but with a pool noodle to float on.

Oldbear & mselenaous: when I did the manatee snorkel a few years ago with American Pro Dive Center, we also dove Kings Cavern whose entrance is in the roped off part of the river where the manatees hang out. While you can't scuba dive with manatees per se, you certainly pass right by them on the way up and down to the cavern entrance. If you briefly pause at the entrance of the cavern and look back up (or pause when your coming out), the manatees swim right above you: pretty cool experience

I went to 3 sisters on 20th. To be honest I would seriously discourage any diver from going to dive in the King Spring. Visibility is horrible even when nobody is there. I like to go there for manatees. Crystal River was crystal clear about 25 years ago... not so much anymore. In my experience 3 sisters is one of few places where visibility is still more or less tolerable.

[video=youtube;KaIpAh1r6dM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaIpAh1r6dM[/video]

........To be honest I would seriously discourage any diver from going to dive in the King Spring. Visibility is horrible even when nobody is there. ......

The vis in the cavern was not all that great when I was there as well, maybe 15 feet: I did the dive because it was part of the reasonably priced snorkel/dive package that American Pro offered. My favorite part was ascending slowing, looking overheard and seeing all the schooling snook and manatees at and above the mouth of the cavern entrance, silhouetted by the blue sky. Additionally, once you start to leave the cavern entrance and you look either way, you'll probably see a couple of manatee swim slowly by. For that reason/experience, it was worth the price of the package deal, but I doubt I'd rush back to do it again unless I was in the area and bored and looking for something to do: sort of a bucket list dive for me.

thnx for sharing

Thanks for sharing! We did the same trip a couple weeks ago, but during a warm weekend, 80 degrees in N FL, only to find no manatee:( Determined to see manatee, we got up at 5 am and launched our kayaks from the city boat ramp and DIY navigational lights for your kayaks. All so we could be at 3 sisters before sun rise. Only 2 manatee there, swam around for a while there before heading over to the city park area and getting to see a couple more manatee there. In all, lesson learned, don't go during a warm spell. Plans to head back in Feb. for another shot at it. Other lessons, take kayaks to avoid the tour boats, a very easy paddle and plenty of place to launch from.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom