How do you attach your dive flag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taymag

Registered
Reaction score
Whether in 10' of water or 80' of water what is the scoop on the dive flag? I would assume you don't want it fully secure to you in case a boat prop gets it?

I clip my reel off to a hip D-ring, leaving about 10 feet of slack.

I tow it. I never attach it to me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The chances of it being hit by a boat and wrapped IMHO are so small as to not even be considered, but even if it did, I'm betting a piece of 220 lb breaking strength line wouldn't move a 300 lb'r much... Absolutely not a concern to me.

Tony probably means he holds the reel in his hand and does not clip it off.

I don't normally clip mine off either except occasionally at Blue Heron Bridge if I'm trying to get a photo and need both hands to make camera adjustments. I don't think I've ever clipped off on a drift dive or a beach dive like LBTS.

Last edited:
Yes, that's what I meant. :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

If I recall correctly, the "rules" say to hold it in your hand.

I frequently clip mine to a hip d-ring at BHB, however if I hear a boat nearby I will unclip and hold it in my hand temporarily.

I try not to be the one holding the ball/flag on drift dives. haha

I have a loop of bungie on mine that goes on my wrist. simple to pull off if needed, but also convenient to keep a hand free for whatever else is desired....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom