Night beach diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was stupid crazy. I like quiet on my dives. I know where to go at the bridge even on busy days to avoid divers. That night, there was no escape. All those lights looking like aliens trying to land... I still get anxeity just thinking of it. shudder...
I describe it the same way, it's like watching an episode of the X-Files and lights are moving like aliens everywhere. It can make it difficult to track your buddies, which is why we tend to find creative or different lights. My buddy Tim has a multicolored flashing lure. My light floats upwards and is pretty bright with a diffuser cone.

This is a link to the dive site almost straight out from Deerfield pier. You have me seriously considering doing that dive from shore at night sometime. I do get over that way on a semi frequent basis. Might even be a great dive to open Mini season 🤔.

This is a link to the dive site almost straight out from Deerfield pier. You have me seriously considering doing that dive from shore at night sometime. I do get over that way on a semi frequent basis. Might even be a great dive to open Mini season 🤔.

That would be a long swim from shore.

I'd dive with anytime. Beach nice and empty at night.

Deerfield Beach lifeguards likely will tell you not to dive off the public areas of the beach. This is a rule of Deerfield Beach. Lauderdale by The Sea is a really nice night dive. I'd be happy to dive it with you.

Night shore dives are my faves. You can also do a "daybreak" dive: splash in an hour or so before sunrise. I've also done many dives with sharks. On one occasion in the Bahamas, I literally bumped into a 6 foot reef shark in the dark. I think she was as startled as I was. The couple of rare occasions when I've thought shark behavior was threatening have all been mid-day dives when there was either a lion fish hunt or other prey in the water. Pura Vida also runs a "black-water" boat night dive that's awesome. If you are not a macro photographer doing it once is probably enough. Pro tip: If you are really concerned, dive with a smaller buddy who swims more slowly

Hi,
Wondering if anyone has tried beach diving at night. I imagine even the first line of rocks/reef offshore is quite interesting after dark. Is this legal? I assume a flag with a light is required. My plan would be to go off Deerfield beach, far enough from the pier that I would be out of range of fisherman, but close enough that boats would be steering clear. Stay near the bottom in case any boats do come by.

Any thoughts?

Frederiksted Pier on St Croix is a very well known night dive. There are at least 4 dive operators within walking distance of the pier, they do guided dives. The majority of diving is done from the shore. From my own observation, more diving is done independently than by the Dive Ops. Also from my own observation, very few shore divers on STX use any sort of dive flag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom