Advice for Newbies Going to Fla Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VivaCaribe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My two friends are heading for the Keys this December to get certified and dive. Ive never dived the Keys, and am looking for recommendations for operators and locations. Small boats preferred. Thanks!!

Key Largo is the place for newbies. Tons of dive ops their. The reef is close and sheltered so not too much current etc.

I took my wife there after she got certified. She had fun looking at all the pretty fish. Most dives bottom out around 30ft on the reef.

I went with Horizon divers. They have a good reputation from what I saw and they were good when we were there. The boat we went on was large though, but most people went off and did their own dive and then the few people in the class went with the instructor. They do have smaller boats, but it seems they use them for the deeper dives that are out further and usually have less customers.

Key Largo is the Dive Capital of the world (according to our Welcome Sign). There are more dive ops here than gas stations, so there is something for everyone from novice to experienced to tech diver and more dive sites than you could see in a week of continuous diving. Most of the dive sites are in the 25-35 ft deep range, great for new divers.

The sheer number of dive choices available can be confusing. There are small 6 pack boats if you have a small party, there are medium sized boats, and there are big boats (usually roomy and very stable for those that could get seasick). There are shops that cater to hunters or rebreathers or technical divers. A few have their boats parked right outside a hotel, one op caters to non-English speaking Germans, French, & Spanish speakers, and a couple of shops only sell gear. There are also several career development centers.
It all depends on what YOUR expectations & abilities are. I have dove with most of these operators and I have friends working at many of them. We all work hard so that you have a fun memorable and safe dive vacation and come back again.

Do ask your selected dive operator about accommodations as each shop has relationships with a few of the local hotels and can usually get you discounted rates or recommend a hotel walking distance to their dive boat(s).

As the others have stated, check out this Florida forum where you will find many threads about diving in the Keys with a ton of great info on dive ops, dive sites, dive training, hotels, eateries, water temps, activities, etc. Everyone has favorites for their own reasons. Search and read some threads about the dive ops that might interest you. There are many often praised shops and many who participate on Scubaboard. Feel free to call and chat with them. I am an independent instructor and work with several shops in town. Feel free to contact me if you need any assistance with customized diving or accommodation recommendations.

I'm not a new diver, but new to the Keys. Which key do you experienced Key divers recommend if I only have a few days?

I'm not a new diver, but new to the Keys. Which key do you experienced Key divers recommend if I only have a few days?

I'd start with Key Largo and then make your way down South from there!!!

Key largo. You will be amazed at the amount of scuba shops and stores as you roll into town. You can dive everything from pretty reefs at pennecamp park to deep wrecks at the Duane and speigel grove. Want a wreck and don't want deep, go for the Benwood. Take a night dive on the reef. So many options. Also since there is so many shops you don't have to book everything in advance although some shops do have deals if you book multiple dives through them.

Key Largo & Upper Keys (Tavernier - Islamorada) is an eat, sleep, dive town with about 30 dive ops. Middle Keys (Marathon) is a big fishing and some diving area while the Lower Keys, particulary Key West, are the eat, party, shop, museums, artsy, touristy activities, kind of town with some fishing and diving.
Yes all of the Keys have great diving, but I'm partial to my own back yard. :D

Take your class with mselenaous and let her worry about which boat to call....she teaches through all the shops and can customize your class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom