florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jordan23

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hi
we will be in forth landrail for one month during mid july till mid august..we are new divers..(40 dives) and have a car. and apt. dont like wreck...do you have any a fordeble liveabord ?
thanks

I will try and guess. "forth landrail" is Fort Lauderdale? In which case there is all sorts of diving around and you are about 1.2 hours from Key Largo and the Florida Keys by car. But you want a live aboard. Why?

hi
we will be in forth landrail for one month during mid july till mid august..we are new divers..(40 dives) and have a car. and apt. dont like wreck...do you have any a fordeble liveabord ?
thanks
See the top post on Facebook page ... this is a Florida Liveaboard, the Shearwater....meant to be used without a hotel :) and it will dive you all over Palm Beach to as far south as Pompano.

The idea with this Liveaboard...is to allow you to "Dive your brains out"....with much more diving per day than would be feasible with Dayboats. When you start diving 5 or more times per day, napping and eating between dives becomes a big deal :)

Last edited:
See the top post on Facebook page ... this is a Florida Liveaboard, the Shearwater....meant to be used without a hotel :) and it will dive you all over Palm Beach to as far south as Pompano.

The idea with this Liveaboard...is to allow you to "Dive your brains out"....with much more diving per day than would be feasible with Dayboats. When you start diving 5 or more times per day, napping and eating between dives becomes a big deal :)

its full does dates.. and wreck...
07-31 to 08-02, 2015 Goliath Groupers, Wrecks & Reefs
11 Spaces Available​
08-07 to 08-10, 2015 Goliath Groupers, Wrecks & Reefs
11 Spaces Available​

The most affordable live-aboard is the MV Spree which is docked in Key West. Three days of diving and eating (along with a few drinks at the end of the day, if you're inclined). The diving in the Dry Tortugas is very nice as well.

1800$ for 3 days//// in maldives its 900$ for 7 days

Not sure if the $1800 figure you quote is the Shearwater or one of MV Spree's technical charters or Bahama trips. The 3 day recreational trips to the Dry Tortugs cost $970 or so. You'll not find anything cheaper in Florida: you'll have to check the website to see if they are running a recreational Dry Tortugas trip while you're here. You can also just take day boats out of Pompano if the live-aboards are too expensive for you

You've got to factor in airfare costs & the misery of extended travel times (e.g.: flights, layovers) & hassles. Otherwise some foreign rates are going to look wonderful.

I've heard of Blue Iguana Charters; they have a Florida Keys option.

Following up what Steve C. asked, people often look to live-aboards for a lot of diving in an all-inclusive package. I just got back from doing that very thing on the Sun Dancer 2 out of Belize. In Key Largo, you can dive 4 times/day with land-based op. Rainbow Reef Dive Center. Here's my trip report from diving Key Largo with Rainbow Reef Dive Center, doing just that, so you can see what's involved in one example.

If you head up the coast from the Keys, you'll see the diving changes. From what I've read people dive wrecks in the Miami area. Then there's Ft. Lauderdale/Pompano Beach, which have diving (reefs I think?), and then you hit West Palm Beach (Boynton Beach is in there somewhere), and on up to Jupiter. Jupiter is deeper drift diving with a little lower viz. (still good) emphasizing potential to see big animals over lush reef. Here's a thread on Distinctive Caribbean & Florida Dive Destinations that contrasts the options. There was a recent thread talking about Boynton Beach favorable. Here's a link to my trip report diving Jupiter with Jupiter Dive Center. I'm leery of recommending Jupiter for new divers, but at 40 dives you may be okay with it. Figure mild drift diving with a guide, a flat sand bottom around 90 feet deep but you don't go to the bottom, preferably diving nitrox EAN 36% since you need it to get good bottom times at depth.

I've not made it to Blue Heron Bridge, but that's something special and very popular, so you may want to read up on it as an option. I assume you've heard of the Lauderdale by the Sea shore dive?

I'm not anti-liveaboard. Just want you to know your options.

Richard.

Not sure if the $1800 figure you quote is the Shearwater or one of MV Spree's technical charters or Bahama trips. The 3 day recreational trips to the Dry Tortugs cost $970 or so. You'll not find anything cheaper in Florida: you'll have to check the website to see if they are running a recreational Dry Tortugas trip while you're here. You can also just take day boats out of Pompano if the live-aboards are too expensive for you

Shearwater looks to be $660 for 3 days...which works out to a better deal than a decent hotel plus rental car, and with a day boat...Shearwater is actually a way better deal...But, you do have to like to dive :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom