Laws of Nature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blair Mott

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Laws of Nature

IBC (Individual Blade Control) accessories Bob Evans designed to advance fin technology is just one example of his ongoing quest to make the finest fin.
Another example of adapting the laws of nature into another advancement is the Vortex generators.
Look at a Humpback whales and the random bumps along their body. These bumps have been found to break the surface tension of the water and aid in reducing the resistance of their massive body going through the water. Bob wanted to use this same principle on his fins. So what he did was selectively place knobs on the underside of the certain models of fins.

These knobs act as vortex generators reducing the kicking effort and help in eliminating potential fin shutter by breaking the surface tension of the water being pushed by a flat surface. The micro vortices actually reattach the water to the fin blade to increase the speed of the water passing under the fin and limit turbulent water flow.
These knobs on the bottom of the fin create counter rotating vortices and the result is more efficient use of the power you out into your fin stroke.
These vortex-generating knobs can be found on the Extra Force Fin Extra Force Fin: Force Fin
and the Exellerating Force Fin Excellerating Force Fin: Force Fin
Below is a photo of the first prototype Bob Evans made one of the Force Fin Models in 1990.

If you study nature long enough you will learn something and that has been the Fin Doctor’s motto for advancing Fin technology.

Last edited:
Just finished looking at my old fins and I am still amazed at how long I thought the bumps on the bottom of some Force Fin models were for grip-
P1050606.JPG

It is a smart fin and the vortex generators are only one reason why!

After all the dives, they look like they have held up real well.
I also notice they have a Bungee.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom