Force Fin fitting question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Souvy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So, I finally decided to try a pair of Force Fins after doing a bit of research and managed to get a good deal on a pair of Large Force Fin Originals. I am however a bit confused about how they are supposed to fit. I wear a size 8 and am using primarily size 8 Tusa Imprex 5mm hard soled booties. When I put my foot in the foot pocket. When I put my bare foot into the foot pocket, it fits more like the picture on the FF website, but my heel is flush with the back of the fin (so the bungee wouldn't be effective at all). When I put my foot in with the bootie, the widest part of my foot doesn't clear the foot pocket, but it seems to fit great in terms of the bungie. I've attached a picture to help explain.

So, I guess to make a very long-winded question short, judging from the photo does it look like the large is the right size with the size 8 5mm bootie or do you think I may need an XL? Thanks so much in advance for the help (and thank you for all the great info in this forum). Cheers

Attachments

• IMG00061.jpg
    IMG00061.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 458
I had that problem, too. I had to change booties to make it fit. Unfortunately, for you it looks like that you will need an XL to fit that shoe.or maybe you can get away with using a neoprene sock and a comfort instep for your size large force fin. For sure an XL will work for your current bootie.

By the pictures it looks like the barefoot fits and the the boot shot is a bit to big, but one thing is when you start to kick the fin is going to move more onto your foot. - Forced onto your foot-

Do't be worried to much about if the bungie heel strap is tight against your heel - when in use the fin will stay on your foot. By the photo it does not look as if the fin will fall off when at rest, but it is best to try them in the pool first.
Get into the pool or confined water and try them out. Kick them and that is your best bet.

If you have a chance to look a the below post you can see some photos I put on that look like the fin is to small and does not fit onto my foot, but as soon as I get in the water the fit adjusts into place. Remember these photos are at home and not on the dive deck or after getting out of the water. Look at the other photos from Meeiser42 as well.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/force-fin/232896-size-14-shoe-what-size-force-fin-pro-2.html

It seems you have the right size fin. I would like to know how they feel when using in the water with your boots on? Time to get wet!

Thanks so much for the replies. Blair, thanks so much for chiming in, I don't know how you manage to dive so much and get to all these posts, but I'm certainly glad you do.

I actually gave the fins a whirl in the pool and I have to admit, I was not a big fan. Personally, I think I just need to get used to kicking with them (which I know will take numerous dives), but I also wanted to check on the size to make sure that isn't negatively affecting my experience.

I know how difficult it is to offer sizing advice without actually seeing the fit, but another difference between barefoot and bootied-foot from the pictures is that my foot with the bootie is really snug in the pocket while I have a ton of room in the foot packet with my bare foot. I've attached a couple of side perspective pictures with the bootie forced in as much as it can go without having kicked in the water with it.

In terms of comparing the pictures to the ones in your post Blair (thank you for the link by the way), it seems as though my foot is in the same position, but doesn't have much room to be forced into the pocket if that makes any sense. Another question is whether the XL foot pocket is so much bigger than the L that my foot would be loose in the pocket.

Sorry about all the tedious questions, I just want to make sure I'm using the right size so that I can be sure to give the force fins a fair go. I've read too many good things about them not to try them. Thanks again for all of the help, much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG00070.jpg
    IMG00070.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG00067.jpg
    IMG00067.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 259
Ok well, I think you are very close in sizing. but... I would recommend 2 things

If you want to go barefoot I highly recommend that you put the comfort insteps in. They are not only more comfortable for your feet they will give you a better fit, as I can see you barefoot in a little farther in than I like it, I keep top of the foot pocket to hit my ankle.

To use booties, I recommend a thinner soled bootie or a larger fin. I have recently switched to the Pinnacle Stealth Bootie and love it, its a 3mm bootie with a thin rubber sole, that really more of a non-slip coating than a sole. But the Mares 3mm with a fairly thin sole is fits fine as well.

My personnal collection consist of XL and XXL . The combos that I use (size 13 foot)
XXL
w/instep and 3mm bootie
w/o for 6mm heavier soled booties and my DS boot.

XL
w/o for 3mm booties
w/instep barefoot

I can wear a 3mm boot in XXL w/o instep but found the upper part of the pocket bites my ankles. so I try to avoid that.

FF on my foot

So, I finally decided to try a pair of Force Fins after doing a bit of research and managed to get a good deal on a pair of Large Force Fin Originals. I am however a bit confused about how they are supposed to fit. I wear a size 8 and am using primarily size 8 Tusa Imprex 5mm hard soled booties. When I put my foot in the foot pocket. When I put my bare foot into the foot pocket, it fits more like the picture on the FF website, but my heel is flush with the back of the fin (so the bungee wouldn't be effective at all). When I put my foot in with the bootie, the widest part of my foot doesn't clear the foot pocket, but it seems to fit great in terms of the bungie. I've attached a picture to help explain.

So, I guess to make a very long-winded question short, judging from the photo does it look like the large is the right size with the size 8 5mm bootie or do you think I may need an XL? Thanks so much in advance for the help (and thank you for all the great info in this forum). Cheers

If your bootie does not fin any deeper into the foot pocket(dry or wet) you might have to much sole on your boot. Regaudless of the sole or not if you can not get your foot deeper into the foot pocket it is not a right fit with that boot, but not by much. It looks like for barefoot use it is a proper fit. As I mentioned earlier as long as it won't fall off when you are at rest. Remember you can adjust the length of your bungie strap!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV9NhvHFD0w

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the replies. Blair, thanks so much for chiming in, I don't know how you manage to dive so much and get to all these posts, but I'm certainly glad you do.

I actually gave the fins a whirl in the pool and I have to admit, I was not a big fan. Personally, I think I just need to get used to kicking with them (which I know will take numerous dives), but I also wanted to check on the size to make sure that isn't negatively affecting my experience.

I know how difficult it is to offer sizing advice without actually seeing the fit, but another difference between barefoot and bootied-foot from the pictures is that my foot with the bootie is really snug in the pocket while I have a ton of room in the foot packet with my bare foot. I've attached a couple of side perspective pictures with the bootie forced in as much as it can go without having kicked in the water with it.

In terms of comparing the pictures to the ones in your post Blair (thank you for the link by the way), it seems as though my foot is in the same position, but doesn't have much room to be forced into the pocket if that makes any sense. Another question is whether the XL foot pocket is so much bigger than the L that my foot would be loose in the pocket.

Sorry about all the tedious questions, I just want to make sure I'm using the right size so that I can be sure to give the force fins a fair go. I've read too many good things about them not to try them. Thanks again for all of the help, much appreciated.

I got so excited to get back to you I jumped right into to reply mood. THanks for the positive feedback by the way.

You could purchase a set of insteps and that would solve your barefoot fit issue as meesier42 mentioned. The jump from an L to a XL is not tremdous and would solve fitting your boot. Your foot looks good with an instep taken out it should be good for your boot? Your L fins seem to not fit your boot configuration, but again I say keep trying them. THe photos I posted do show about the same fit as your photos ,but I use Force FIns all the time and know how they should work and feel - I would try a few more times.

Not a huge fan - Remember the Force Fin is a complete different fin than paddle fins and you will not feel the physical strain we are used to using other types of fin. The mental and physical conditioning from using closed toe flat fins is very strong. I always say give them more than 2 experiences in the water to form a real solid option. It is fantastic that you are able to get in the pool. Any chance of a confined open water experience with gear?
Thanks again for the feedback and questions toward having the Force Fin experience.

Thank you for all the great feedback, I'll look into a different boot with less sole or, failing that, maybe the XLs. I'm afraid barefoot is not an option as the water temp here is about 48 these days.

I definitely think it's way to early to give a definitive impression as I've only had one really brief stint in the pool with them. I've read some posts saying it can take 10 dives to get used to them and I'm definitely willing to give them a shot for a while since it is so different. I do a bit of shore diving up here in rather calm environments, so I'd feel comfortable giving them a few goes.

Thank you again for all the helpful feedback and suggestions, hopefully my next post in the forum will be about what a great experience I had with them once I get the fit straightened out. Cheers

Souvy, try to track down my good friend, Captain Fred Calhoun. Go diving on this boat "Easy Diver". Captain Calhoun and his wife CC have used my fins for over 15+ years. They are in the club.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom