3-4 Day Diving Trip Before Penang

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pconsidine007

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can do a 3-4 day trip in early September which is easily accessible to Penang, Malaysia (wife and I are meeting there for a "food trip" following a short dive trip with my buddy)?

Of late I feel like I'm a bit cursed by bad weather, and while the Philipines are tempting there seems to be a decent amount of weather risk in early September. Because I'm on a pretty tight time line, it makes the Philipines less than ideal (unless I'm overestimating the weather risk).

Some of the other places that sound really appealing (Sipdan), are too involved travel wise to undertake with such a short trip.

As such, I'm left feeling that there has to be a really solid option, I'm just having a hard time finding it - so hoping the folks here in SB can help out.

I live in Dubai, so anything east of the Philipines is likely not going to work, as it'll be too far out of the way for my return leg.

I really appreciate any feedback folks here can offer.

Kindest regards,
P

When I was in Penang last year I looked at Langkawi, but it didn't seem to have good diving. You might want to investigate it, though.

I love Lembongan off Bali. Not as much of a hassle as the Philippines, but still a bit out of the way. Manado (Bunaken and Lembeh) might also be reachable.

Given that you're in Malaysia, you might look at air connections for Mabul off Borneo (fly into Tawau). (You can dive Sipidan off Mabul, assuming you can get a permit to do so.)

You can dive in Phuket - fly to/from Penang with Firefly. If you had an extra day,do a liveaboard in the Similan islands - best diving along that entire coast.

Pulau Weh over on Sumatra is an option or the east coast of Malaysia, Redang or Perhantian Islands.If you do the east coast of Malaysia and feel comfortable about driving in Malaysia then it might work out cheaper for you to drive from Kuala Terrengganu over to Penang, I have done this several times over the past 20 years (my wife is from Penang) and avoids any no fly time incurred from the previous days dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom