Looking for dive site suggestions for a 9 day trip (Sept 11th through Sept 20th)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Friedolays

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am coming to visit the Philippines in September 11th. flying into Manila that evening. It will be my first trip to the Philippines. I have about 90 dives over the last 3 years, most of the dives are from Cozumel and Roatan. I also have my AOW Padi. I have been researching dive sites and from the looks of it September isn't a very popular time to dive... So, here I am asking for some advice and suggestions for sites which generally still have good conditions. There has to be a few right?!

Thanks in advance!

**Edit: A good portion of my dives have been drift dives, which I really enjoy. I also really like night dives. I am looking for dive sites on this trip that have the best odds of producing an enjoyable dive, macro, reef or big creature...

Three main places around Manila:
1. Subic Bay but mainly for wrecks.
2. Anilao, well known for macro and only about 3hrs by car from Manila. Very quiet ie dive, eat and sleep from the same resort(more or less).
3. Puerto Galera which is on the other side of the channel from Anilao. Bit of everything including bars, restaurant etc etc. If the condition is right(full moon is 29th Sept while new moon is 14th Sept) then the Kilima Drift is a fast drift but operator is very reluctant to take stranger there.

Cannot promise on the weather because of the typhoon season.
Anilao + PG would be a good combination if you have the time. Go to PG first because of the water crossing.

There have been recent threads about this worth searching for. My advice is ignore Metro Manila entirely for diving, especially in September as it is monsoon season in Luzon. It will take you at least 2-3 hours by land to get to any diving sites from Manila and those sites are so-so. Stay at the airport one night when you arrive, then fly to another island where the diving is great. Flights are around an hour to almost anywhere in the Philippines, and are cheap if you buy in advance. Sept 11 is pretty close so you may already pay almost double what you would have a month ago but still round trip is around $100usd in most cases. There are some to Cebu, Bohol, Dumaguete, and other places that have direct domestic flights from Manila, and some of those have international flights directly to them as well.

I am flying into Manila on Sept 6, staying overnight at the airport. Then flying to Cebu the next day, taking car to Moalboal, staying there 10 days. Then taking a car and ferry overland to Dauin, staying there around 10 days. Then flying from Dumaguete back to Manila, then flying right home the next day.

I am coming to visit the Philippines in September 11th. flying into Manila that evening. It will be my first trip to the Philippines. I have about 90 dives over the last 3 years, most of the dives are from Cozumel and Roatan. I also have my AOW Padi. I have been researching dive sites and from the looks of it September isn't a very popular time to dive... So, here I am asking for some advice and suggestions for sites which generally still have good conditions. There has to be a few right?!

Thanks in advance!

**Edit: A good portion of my dives have been drift dives, which I really enjoy. I also really like night dives. I am looking for dive sites on this trip that have the best odds of producing an enjoyable dive, macro, reef or big creature...

Check this out and watch the video. Pretty sure you'll want to go to Anilao. I do!

I looked at Dumageute and Puerto Galera but Dumaguete involves flying so you lose a day of diving. I can't rememer what I thought about Puerto Galera but I'm all in on Anilao now. I'm doing an LOB to Tubataha followed by 6 days of shore based diving. Anilao, here I come!

Bohol for the giant schools of jackfish and dumagete/Apo island are my top choices.

At Puerto Galeria the top experience is the slightly offshore Verde Islands besides the local drift dive called Canyons… If time is of essence then I would do PG only for these before jumping destination to another location…

Of course muck divers would have other preferences…

There have been recent threads about this worth searching for. My advice is ignore Metro Manila entirely for diving, especially in September as it is monsoon season in Luzon. It will take you at least 2-3 hours by land to get to any diving sites from Manila and those sites are so-so. Stay at the airport one night when you arrive, then fly to another island where the diving is great. Flights are around an hour to almost anywhere in the Philippines, and are cheap if you buy in advance. Sept 11 is pretty close so you may already pay almost double what you would have a month ago but still round trip is around $100usd in most cases. There are some to Cebu, Bohol, Dumaguete, and other places that have direct domestic flights from Manila, and some of those have international flights directly to them as well.

I am flying into Manila on Sept 6, staying overnight at the airport. Then flying to Cebu the next day, taking car to Moalboal, staying there 10 days. Then taking a car and ferry overland to Dauin, staying there around 10 days. Then flying from Dumaguete back to Manila, then flying right home the next day.
I am in the process of doing some more research on your recommendations! Do you think I will have any difficulties finding lodging if I book hotels a day or two before arriving? I dont mind paying extra for flights as I really enjoy the aspect of not being on a rigid itinerary for my travels.

I am in the process of doing some more research on your recommendations! Do you think I will have any difficulties finding lodging if I book hotels a day or two before arriving? I dont mind paying extra for flights as I really enjoy the aspect of not being on a rigid itinerary for my travels.
From a lot of experience doing this in the Philippines...(I call it "dive trekking" and it is my favorite way to dive travel) you will have no issues. Especially in September. September is not one of the busier months for diving, or tourism in general for the Philippines so there will be a lot of availability. As mentioned in a previous thread, flights on quick notice will be a bit more expensive, but it is not really a big deal.

We would welcome you to Subic of course. It is an easy add on trip straight from MNL (3.5 hour/₱300 bus ride away) and Clark airport is only a 1.5 hour/₱300 bus ride away for many other destinations. Unfortunately we can't guarantee sunny sky's and calm waters in September, but we have really been surprised many times with great weather and good vis this time of year also. If you are on a flexible schedule you can plan destinations based on weather forecasts and current conditions.

Thanks in advance!

Some of the nicer places are booked up but there is always something available. One thing I do is go on Agoda and find cancellable rooms so that I know I will have at least something. They usually let you cancel a couple days in advance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom