Doc's Proplugs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peterjmaerz

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello wet ones,

I've found my Oceanic ProEar mask to be excellent in preventing the ear infections which used to plague me during dive vacations. However, I'd like to be able to wear a mask that has a greater field of vision without giving up the ear protection I've come to depend on.

Anyone had experiece with Doc's Proplugs--seems as though they may provide some of the same protection as the ProEar. The Proplugs do let some water into the ear canal, apparently, but so does the ProEar, though it is designed not to.

What's your take?

Thanks,

Hi Peter. I think you will find the Doc's Pro Plugs to work quite well. They considerably "slow" the effective rate of your descent, allowing your ears to adjust slowly. The water that fills your ear canal as you descend will quickly warm to your body temp and the plug eliminates the water exchange that occurs in the unprotected ear. This prevents the irritation caused by constant flushing of cool water. One caution...they must be sized properly to work. Make sure the sales person sizes you correctly before you purchase. Thanks and good luck.

Phil Ellis
Dive Sports Online
www.divesports.com

Check with DAN. I think you'll get a no-way! My wife did.

adios don O

donooo:
Check with DAN. I think you'll get a no-way! My wife did.
Did DAN say no-way to the Doc's Proplugs that are vented and made for diving? I've seen many people use them. I was having problems equalizing with them while using a hood so I just tossed mine.

Matt

Yep, she was having problems with vertigo that seemed to be being set off by cold water. So at a dive shop they sold her a beanie and ear plugs. I had second thoughts about the ear plugs but they displayed a DAN sticker. So we bought um, went home and called DAN. They said no-way. Guess that Doc's is a DAN supporter but not DAN endorsed as was implied by the salesman.

adios

The Pro-Ear mask earcups have to be cleared occaisionally just like a regular mask does and the technique is similar (hold top of cups and mask and blow). So, though you may get a small accumulation of water it should never be enough to enter the ear canal. If it does you are not getting an adequate seal on the ear cups or your strap is too loose.

Doc's Proplugs have a slightly different goal. Though you will stay dry for the first several meters as the plugs compress into your ear canal (the equalizing against air that eases initial effort) the surface tension valve soon is soon overwhelmed and water is allowed to trickle in. The water against the eardrum that is at equilibrium is soon warmed to body temperature and that is the other benefit. You don't have a freeflow of cold water against the eardrum, increasing comfort and relaxation which can have some effect on further equalization.

But if your goal is to stay dry in the ear canal then they won't help. If your ear infections were caused by moisture in the external ear then there will be little benefit. If you were plagued with middle ear infections then the only benefit might be an ease of equilization (especially during the more difficult first half atmosphere) which will reduce the tendency to draw fluid into the inner ear which often is the bed of a middle ear infection. But that would be a minor connection.

Here is a DAN comment. They are generally trying to be even handed but even then you have to read carefully. The first expert's comments are incompetent because he doesn't even know they exist and if he does he doesn't understand how they work. The second's is less so but still lacks understanding of how they work and any personal experience. She seems to be fixated on wax getting embedded in the valve as some serious potential problem. Well, if you have that much excess wax you should definitely clean out your ears. You could only possibly get wax in it on ascent anyway which does not require the water in the ear canal to go through the valve (it can just go around the plug by design). I have never had wax plug the valve or heard of anyone who has but I do wash them after every use. Contrary to her claims, potential real problems are actually almost nil. I have even removed them at depth. You simply slowly remove them. There is no sudden influx of cold water. The warm water already in your deep ear canal is gradually cooled to ambient by the free flow of water and you are diving as if you never had them.

If your infections were moisture related then just use one of the acidic post-dive topical concoctions for the ear canal.

Hi Liberato,

Thank you so much for your very informative, if not definitive reply and the link to the DAN discussion. It would be interesting if the vinegar/rubbing alcohol solution I've been religiously administering after each dive on the advice of my ENT has been the hero in eliminating my ear infections, rather than the ProEar mask. I've never had any difficulty equalizing (other than a dangerous squeeze caused once by wearing the ProEar over a hood), so that's not an issue for me.

Also, I'd forgotten about the technique for clearing the ProEar earcups. Thanks for that as well...

By the way, why do *you* wear the plugs?

Thanks to all who replied to my query.

Best,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom