Gear obsessive - Weight distribution - Chute 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Santa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anybody have comments on the effects of different kinds of weight distribution?

I own a Chute 3 that Im very pleased with and which is quite versatile weightwise with very spacious, double row, integrated weight pockets, shoulderpockets and additional bcd pockets closer to the back.

For example I find that if i place weights in the top row of the pockets, some in the shoulder pockets and tighten the shoulder straps to the max it tends to affect my finning balance in a negative way making my torse move and wobble instead of my legs.

Moving weight towards the hips tends to give me a solid "pivoting point" to kick from, but sometimes yields too much back weight.

If you look at the body as a kind of "seesaw" with a specific pivoting point There is also the choice between distributing weight evenly along your body lenght or making a heavier deposit at each "end". Which would be more stable/versatile?

I fully realise how many factors affect positioning (body shape, weight of fins, gloves and hood or not, tank position, arm positioning etc) but is there any kind of overall guiding principle to weight distribtution for maximum manoeuvreability?

Maybe a kind of "ideal Pivoting point" or some brilliant equation taking weight, length of limbs etc into account (not likely I guess).

Suppose the ideal practical approach to would be starting out nude with only a bcd, tank and your fins of choice and then add wetsuit components and further weights one by one to evaluate the effect.

Or I could forget about it and just concentrate on the diving. :D

Santa

Back
Top Bottom