which would you choose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James Lucas

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking to buy some gear and wanted some opinions of two different choices.
#1:
Used equipment bought in 2001, 2002 has only been in the water a
couple of times.
Scuba pro MK20 regulator with Scubapro G200B octopus
Zeagle Ranger BC with integrated weight system
(weights included 40 lbs, 5 & 2.5 lb increments)
2001 Oceanic Datamaz Pro Plus with compass (Nitrox compatible)
$800.00

#2:
Brand new equipment
Zeagle Escape BC with 36 lbs of soft weights
Aeris Atmos Pro Regulator with Mares Brigade Viper Octo
Oceanic Datamaz Pro Plus II with compass and quick disconnect
$1250.00

Thanks

I wouldn't touch either with a bargepole.

Why is that PerroneFord? The reg. on #1 would definitely need to be rebuilt so that is another $120 or so

Package #1:

Good reg, needs to be rebuilt. If it hasn't been serviced annually, the warranty is gone.

Zeagle makes nice products but the Ranger isn't one of them. Enough lift for doubles, which makes it sloppy for single tank diving. Intergrated weights should be outlawed.

Don't care much for recreational computers either. Generally unhelpful.

Package 2:

Better BC, but still overkill. What the heck does anyone need with 36# of soft weight?

Don't care for either reg.

I hate consoles. And quick disconnects... what for?

I guess I am just tired of seeing new divers buy gear that they sell off a year later because they wise up and realize they bought a lot of stuff they don't need, or can't grow with.

Looking to buy some gear and wanted some opinions of two different choices.
#1:
Used equipment bought in 2001, 2002 has only been in the water a
couple of times.
Scuba pro MK20 regulator with Scubapro G200B octopus
Zeagle Ranger BC with integrated weight system
(weights included 40 lbs, 5 & 2.5 lb increments)
2001 Oceanic Datamaz Pro Plus with compass (Nitrox compatible)
$800.00

#2:
Brand new equipment
Zeagle Escape BC with 36 lbs of soft weights
Aeris Atmos Pro Regulator with Mares Brigade Viper Octo
Oceanic Datamaz Pro Plus II with compass and quick disconnect
$1250.00

Thanks

Well, this is only my two cents, and I'm definitely no expert on the subject, so take it for what it's worth....

As far as the used gear goes...when was the last time it was serviced? Even though it was only used a couple of times (for a couple of trips?), if it wasn't properly cared for, there's still the potential for corrosion to build up inside it. Is this gear that's owned by a friend of yours, or is it being bought sight-unseen? If you don't have any pictures of the gear, and you don't know the seller, I'd be concerned about making sure it's in the condition the buyer claims it to be. You'll have to get the gear serviced before you use it, so mentally add that cost onto the package price. On that note, do you know if your local dive shop can service Scubapro?

Do you know if the gear fits you? Have you ever used a Zeagle BC before? Good things to consider before you plunk down that kind of cash :) Have you ever used a back inflate BC before? Most people seem to like them, but some people prefer a jacket BC. What kind of diving do you intend to do? The Zeagle Ranger doesn't exactly pack up light or small. If you're planning on flying to your dive destinations, you might consider a lighter, easier to pack BC. If you see yourself maybe getting into technical diving (deco diving, cave diving, etc), you might consider getting a backplate/wing/harness instead of a standard BC, and a wrist mounted computer with a gauge mode instead of an air-integrated console.

As far as the new package goes, you might consider making your primary and your octo the same brand, unless the dive shop you're purchasing it from services both brands. If you go with two seperate brands, it can be a bit of a pain to get them serviced once a year, because not every dive shop services every brand. I think the Zeagle Brigade is a bit less bulky than the Zeagle Ranger, so it might pack up a little smaller if you intend to fly. There are other Zeagles that pack up smaller, though, so if you see lots of destination diving in your future, you might want to look at the Zeagle Stilleto or the Zeus.

Truthfully, I wouldn't go with either package, because I prefer wrist mounted computers and a simple SPG instead of air integrated consoles, and I'd rather have a backplate/wing/harness instead of a standard BC. However, those are just my preferences, and if having a Zeagle BC and an air intergrated computer works for your style of diving, then that works for you! :)

Hope this helps~

Package #1:

Good reg, needs to be rebuilt. If it hasn't been serviced annually, the warranty is gone.

Zeagle makes nice products but the Ranger isn't one of them. Enough lift for doubles, which makes it sloppy for single tank diving. Intergrated weights should be outlawed.

Don't care much for recreational computers either. Generally unhelpful.

Package 2:

Better BC, but still overkill. What the heck does anyone need with 36# of soft weight?

Don't care for either reg.

I hate consoles. And quick disconnects... what for?

I guess I am just tired of seeing new divers buy gear that they sell off a year later because they wise up and realize they bought a lot of stuff they don't need, or can't grow with.

Um, yeah. I went out to my local dive shop, and happily plunked down $1200 or so for a back inflate Scubapro Ladyhawk BC, a three gauge console (aka "the brick"), a yoke reg and an AIR2, an air computer, and a black painted yoke AL80. A year or so later....I still have the reg (converted to DIN) and the AL80 (used as a "loaner" tank) but that's about it! The rest has been sold off for half of what it's worth, probably less.

If I had just waited about two months (and rented gear for awhile instead of buying everything right away), I would have discovered, that on Dive #7, I was going to fall in love with the Florida caves...and I would have saved quite a bit of money (instead of having to sell off all my brand new gear, and repurchase gear appropriate for the cave environment).

Even the best deal isn't a deal if it's not what you need.

Mr. Lucas~

I can only speak to the Zeagle Ranger. It was my first bc for cold water diving. I ended up swapping mine with a friend for an older model that fit better. I have several bc's including a plate and wing (for you DIR fanatics out there!), but now even in warm water, I still end up using the Ranger most often.

I don't even know how old it is (15+yrs) or how many dives, but it is in near perfect condition and other than routine inflator servicing has never had any problem whatsoever. I dive with 8lbs. and just toss the hard weights in the pockets and don't bother with the bags (I use them for travel and boat dives). Maybe thats why Zeagle has produced the Ranger for so many years with minimal changes. A great product regardless what the "know-it-alls" say.

If I had just waited about two months (and rented gear for awhile instead of buying everything right away), I would have discovered, that on Dive #7, I was going to fall in love with the Florida caves...and I would have saved quite a bit of money (instead of having to sell off all my brand new gear, and repurchase gear appropriate for the cave environment).

I agree! What gear you purchase depends on what kind of diving you're going to be doing and in most cases you won't know that until you get some experience. When I got back into diving in the late 90's, after a 30 year hiatus, I first bought all used (but serviceable) gear, then bought all new (recreational) gear and finally bought all new tech gear. I wish I had of eased into it and just bought a little at a time until I had figured out where I was going.

If ONLY choosing between the 2 options, go for the new. $450 is not worth the increased risk (maybe significant risk and mybe very little), the likely lack of warranty etc..

As for what everybody else is talking about, I agree sort of. You do not know out of the gate what kind iof diving you will end up wanting to do, and some gear is just not suited for certain types of diving. I would not worry too much about that. I would recommend you put both options on hold, and find a couple dive shops that can rent you the different types of equipment, and then decide to buy that which fits you best and makes you feel the best in the water (safest etc.). I still dive a poodle jacket because it is what I bought after dive 10. I have 300+ logged dives on it and ya know what? It might not have been the best decision to buy that BC, but I have loved every dive I have logged with it.

Too many people get too caught up about what other divers are wearing. The only thing that matters when you get rid of the fluff is:

1. Are they safe (both to themselves and to others)?
2. Are they enjoying themselves?

If you buy gear today that you have to replace in three years because you want to follow a "technical" diving path, so what. Replace it and hold no grudges. Keep the old gear, sell it to help pay for the new gear.....no matter what do not go through your diving career as others holding a grudge against your equipment. Enjoy every dive irrespective of what equipment you are diving.

So, I suggest you hold off with both, rent for a while and see what "just feels right for you right now".

I don't even know how old it is (15+yrs) or how many dives, but it is in near perfect condition and other than routine inflator servicing has never had any problem whatsoever. I dive with 8lbs. and just toss the hard weights in the pockets and don't bother with the bags (I use them for travel and boat dives). Maybe thats why Zeagle has produced the Ranger for so many years with minimal changes. A great product regardless what the "know-it-alls" say.

Well.

1. The Ranger has changed considerably since I bought my Zeagle back in 1995

2. The Ranger continues to be popular with recreational divers making the jump to tech.

3. The Ranger continues to be hot on the used market when the divers from #2 figure out the Ranger won't let them do what they need to do or configure their gear the way they'd like.

4. The product is well constructed, it just seems to have a built in market of divers who buy it not really understanding their needs. Certainly there is a group of divers for whom it works well.

I just can't see the utility in a "Technical BC" that needs a chest strap, has no provision to mount a proper light, has a bladder designed for singles but has more lift than my doubles wing, has d-rings in all the wrong places, has more padding than a mattress, and costs more than a good plate and wing.

But that's just me.

There are 9 on Ebay right now for anyone who really want's one. Amazingly, all of the used ones are "barely used". Wonder why that is. The description of one says the cam bands can be lengthened to accommodate double cylinders. Try running that past your Adv. Nitrox or Cave instructor...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom