Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie question

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    None - Not Certified

Newbie question

Hi guys,
    New to diving, just wanted to know if anyone uses a "scuba rattle" if so, are they worth spending a new crisp £20.00 note on? Do you anyone/anywhere to get one. What do you guys use? I know a couple people using them just wanted to know if they are worth money, or is their an alternative?

P.S I will be posting this on a few different forums, just to see if there is a variation from club to club.

Thanks for your time!

Registered

Advanced Nitrox

Dives
    500 - 999
    A lot of people use them and "over use" them. They are good if you NEED to get someones attention. Some people have tank bangers, others just use a clip and reach around and bang their tank. I have a dive alert that I use only if absolutely needed. They can be very annoying in the wrong hands.

Instructor...seriously...

Still looking for a status....

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    I have have before but just found it wasn't worth the bother, if you'd like a "noise maker" you can drill a hole in a golf ball and put some bungee through it and it's an instant tank banger. Certainly less than 20 quid.
    Deco
    PADI MSDT #TDI/SDI #15666 UTD #114
    "you can have my spare air when you pry it from my cold dead hands....."
    I find it fascinating that more men have walked on the moon than have seen the ocean below 800 feet.
    }<)))>}<)))>}<)))>

ScubaBoard Supporter
    Go Red - Support SB!

Divemaster

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Quote Originally Posted by ethan123whitcomb View Post
    Hi guys,
    New to diving, just wanted to know if anyone uses a "scuba rattle" if so, are they worth spending a new crisp £20.00 note on? Do you anyone/anywhere to get one. What do you guys use? I know a couple people using them just wanted to know if they are worth money, or is their an alternative?

P.S I will be posting this on a few different forums, just to see if there is a variation from club to club.

Thanks for your time!
    A more important question might be why do you think you need one?

Personally I find them extremely annoying, in my experience many people tend to use them in place of good buddy awareness. I've been on diving trips, usually tropics, and the number of divers including DMs using them is very high, the noise is of all these tank bangers/rattles/underwater noise makers is enough to make me want to get out of the water, talk about noise pollution.

Ill give you 20 not to buy one

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhasummer View Post
    A more important question might be why do you think you need one?

Personally I find them extremely annoying, in my experience many people tend to use them in place of good buddy awareness. I've been on diving trips, usually tropics, and the number of divers including DMs using them is very high, the noise is of all these tank bangers/rattles/underwater noise makers is enough to make me want to get out of the water, talk about noise pollution.

Ill give you 20 not to buy one
    Ok I won't buy one. I'll pm the address to send the 20 lol

ScubaBoard Supporter
    Go Red - Support SB!

Divemaster

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigd2722 View Post
    Ok I won't buy one. I'll pm the address to send the 20 lol
    cheques in the mail

Registered

is scuba
    diving recreationally.

Dives
    200 - 499
    I hate them too. I think they should be only used for something serious (an emergency) or completely unique (e.g., an extremely rare animal). They're very annoying, and people use them too much. I remember a couple of tropical dives where the DM would rattle it every few minutes.

It's mostly annoying because at first, you can't even tell from where the sound is coming.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    I disagree completely with the negative perspective by several posters. Over-use is a real issue, sure, but these signalling devices are often very useful. To say they shouldn't be used is nuts. My wife and I each have an H2YO noisemaker from ReefNet. We are excellent buddies, but do not swim shoulder to shoulder, both of us always looking at the same items at the same time. Many times we are looking in opposite directions when one of us spots something of major interest and wants the other person's attention. The rattle is a good choice for that purpose. If you are annoyed by one of the underwater rattles when used by someone who is not your buddy, I would ask why you are swimming so close to that person? The rattle noise does not carry very far. I will say that there is one noise maker that I personally find exceedingly annoying, especially when over-used. That is the Dive Alert signalling device which generates an obnoxious sound that carries much further than the rattle noises.

too long 'til Palau...way too
    long 'til Philippines

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Having something to make noise is not a bad idea but homemade ones can work as well or better than anything you'd buy. It's a good DIY project. The different types have their pros and cons. And, noisemakers should be used VERY sparingly if it's more than you and your buddy diving, or you will just tick everyone off (while probably not getting the attention of the person you actually wanted to.) Best reserved for a true emergency, or maybe when the manta swims by and everyone is looking the other direction - not for every fish that catches your eye.

Having something like a Dive Alert can be a good idea, save your money and put it towards something like that and other safety gear like a sausage.

Senior Moderator

Learning Japanese

Quote Originally Posted by lmorin View Post
    I will say that there is one noise maker that I personally find exceedingly annoying, especially when over-used. That is the Dive Alert signalling device which generates an obnoxious sound that carries much further than the rattle noises.
    The dive master that led our group in Cozumel last March quacked with his Dive Alert incessantly. Every video I took has his quacks in the background.

I use the old fashioned technique: make an almost fist with your left hand (like you're going to milk a cow) and whack the opening with your right hand. That smack sound travels pretty far and will get the attention of anyone near you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast