HELP, Bad LDS experience!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDoobaDo

Reaction score
We finally purchased our equipment from an LDS. We had a great salesman and I really loved my BCD like total idiots we purchased EVERYTHING (2 full sets of equipment and wetsuits) there in early December.. yes, they were Christmas presents to each other and getting more than my BCD for under the tree was like pulling teeth.... Of course, he was really going to work with us to get the right sizes, the right equip, etc. We have had nothing but BAD service since and yesterday I returned everything that I have received from them and requested a FULL refund. Of course, he was at the shop when I dropped it all off, miracle of all miracles.., and proceeded to tell me that they do not give refunds...
We went with an LDS because we assumed that the added service would be a plus but found myself awake many nights wondering what we had gotten ourselves into and just plain mad again because he either wasn't there at the shop when he said he would be and didn't bother to let his employees know what was going on or didn't return our phone calls AGAIN.
1. Overcharged us..
2. :toilet Still no refund for overcharges and still maintains that it was done at the end of Dec, even though I have checked 5 times up to last friday and there is still no credit.
3. Ordered our wetsuits 6 weeks ago and just yesterday said that my husbands was there and mine was in the mail....Just ordered my husbands without checking size & weight... according to the website ordered the wrong size... (yes, we have been bugging him about them for the last 4 weeks, even asking for a refund because we hadn't rec'd them mid January.. :banghead: NO REFUNDS, But would give a store credit.. ha).
4. I heard about the Oceanic rebate through this board, and he :blah: forgot to tell us about that.
5. Finally got all of the equip except for the wetsuits the day before Xmas eve (special trip to the shop by my daughter since he wasn't at the shop the day before (like he said he would be)and didn't leave it for me..I live 90 miles away from the shop) but have never received any paperwork on the computers, etc. Aren't there registration forms that you are supposed to do???? The only receipt I have is for the original order, there is no breakdown of charges and only the BCD's are the original equipment (just not the same sizes) we just turned in. We have been trying since the end of December to trade my husbands BCD for a smaller size.

HELP, how do I get a refund back from this shop??????????
My credit card will help, disputing the charge. Any other options??? You can PM if you would like to.

We are pretty laid back people, it takes a lot to make either of us mad but he has succeeded.....

Well, maybe you could let us know where you are in the world and maybe someone knows them in your area and can help.

Darin

Northern Nevada - As I have found out, his record on the Better Business Bureau is not too good. And several dive shops I have talked to knew who it was before I got too much out of my mouth.. So it appears that there have been a lot of problems with him before.

ScubaDoobaDo:
... We had a great salesman ...
Sorry - I couldn't help but chuckle at this :D

Anyhow - More questions.... Did you actually use any of the equipment you are returning? If so, was it defective, or were the BCD and wetsuit just the wrong size? Was anything defective? You say you were overcharged - was your credit card charged the price you agreed to pay before you found out you could get stuff cheaper online, or did the shop actually charge your card for more than you agreed to pay? If the latter, and if it was deliberate, that's fraud.

If your equipment was all still new and unused and you were that unhappy with the service, sizes that didn't get changed and the items themselves, I agree that the store should work with you. If they don't, your only option is probably through your credit card company.

If you have already used some of the equipment - unless it was defective, you should probably work with the store a bit.

JMHO.

No, we have never used any of the equipment, it was not defective as far as we know, as a matter of fact I loved my BCD and was very happy with most other equipment (when we were finally able to get it from him), just not the service! I also knew before hand that I could get it cheaper on line but the idea of having someone near that would service (ha ha) and teach us about the equipment got the better of us.
And yes, he overcharged our credit card $774 more than we agreed to pay. And that was prior to finding out about the $150 rebate we should have received on top of that amount.

Well, based on your side of the story, I would put up a fight - especially since you have returned all the equipment unused. Again though, your only recourse may be your credit card. I don't know much about small claims court, but depending on how much you spent (I think there's a $$ limit??), that may be an option as well.

Dispute the charges fast. You only have 60 days from purchase (which probably does not leave you more than a week or two). He is probably stalling to make you go over that limit. You can always rescind the dispute later, but if you do not file the dispute before the 60 days is up, you lose.

One more thing. Having a formal dispute puts you in control of resolving the situation. If he still refuses to speak with you he loses. Given the $$ amount involved (2 full sets?) I would imagine this would get his attention in a quick and decisive way.

ScubaDoobaDo:
Northern Nevada - As I have found out, his record on the Better Business Bureau is not too good. And several dive shops I have talked to knew who it was before I got too much out of my mouth.. So it appears that there have been a lot of problems with him before.

Any reason?

I don't know.. I just don't feel comfortable saying it online... I don't want to get sued or anything...
I am filing complaints with the BBB, Oceanic, Harveys and of course, my credit card company. I have never in all of my 44 years of living filed a formal complaint against a company.
The worst part of it is that I feel like a complete idiot... The bells should have started ringing when I was overcharged right off the bat. I know this company has been in business for a long time and we started our PADI certification there w/our open water dives in Coz... We had no problem then, of course the owner was not our instructor.

First of all, do you check their refund policy? Is there any written refund policy on the receipt?
Based on my horrible experience with LDS, there is no way to solve your problem with that dive shop, directly. Even, you don't need to argue with them at their shop. Just give one more shot by sending the formal letter about what you want to solve this issue (sure, it is for a legal record). And then, you can give some clues what you will do next if you don't get any refund. In my case, I talked with my attorney. And, the best and least expensive action is to file a claim on your credit card company. Most credit card company has a dispute service on your purchases up to 90 days depending on the card companies. No matter what other problems you have, the simple over-charged fact is also a good excuse to cancel a whole transaction.

Please disclose the shop name for other board members in your states before getting some helps from here. It is a fair deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom