Regulator breathing wet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tommed

Registered
Reaction score
I just tested my Dacor Viper Metal regulator which recently came back from its yearly service. I have used this regulator for the past three years and am happy with its normal performance, however following the service it is now breathing really wet. I has to switch to the octopus which oprated normally. Can anyone hazard a guess as to what might be wrong? How is the water getting in? Thanks for your help.

With the Dacor viper series, it would be unusual for the diaphragm to be improperly seated as it is oblong shaped and sits in a very deep groove.

The diaphragm could however have a hole in it, the exhaust valve could be torn or folded, the case could be cracked or one of the o-rings in the case could be improperly seated or even missing.

The tech should have detected the problem before it ever left the shop. It is also a good idea for the diver to always do a pre dive check of their reg, including attempting to inhale through the reg after it is attached to the tank, but before the tank valve is opened. If you get any air at all through the second stage, it indicates a leak somewhere in the system (usually the second stage) that needs to be corrected before you dive.

Tommed:
I just tested my Dacor Viper Metal regulator which recently came back from its yearly service. I have used this regulator for the past three years and am happy with its normal performance, however following the service it is now breathing really wet. I has to switch to the octopus which oprated normally. Can anyone hazard a guess as to what might be wrong? How is the water getting in? Thanks for your help.

Usually it means that one of the diaphragms isn't seating properly. Often times it's the exhaust valve.

R..

DA Aquamaster:
With the Dacor viper series, it would be unusual for the diaphragm to be improperly seated as it is oblong shaped and sits in a very deep groove.

The diaphragm could however have a hole in it, the exhaust valve could be torn or folded, the case could be cracked or one of the o-rings in the case could be improperly seated or even missing.

The tech should have detected the problem before it ever left the shop. It is also a good idea for the diver to always do a pre dive check of their reg, including attempting to inhale through the reg after it is attached to the tank, but before the tank valve is opened. If you get any air at all through the second stage, it indicates a leak somewhere in the system (usually the second stage) that needs to be corrected before you dive.

what he said.

Take it back and get them to open the second stage in front of you..

Did you check the mouthpiece?

Thanks for all the responses. Yes I did check the mouthpiece. Seems to be in good shape.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom